Wednesday, May 09, 2007

West Albany Baseball Honors Another

It's been a long day - work, baseball game, worship team practice, skit practice, and finally home, but I have to share something new I saw at West Albany baseball stadium today that's pretty cool.

It starts with the sad news that Greg Miller, who I've known since our family started attending Fairview Mennonite Church back in 1972, died last Thursday at the age of 46 after fighting lung cancer (though he was not a smoker) for nearly two years. Greg was a West Albany wrestler and baseball player, and his oldest son is playing varsity baseball at West this year as a sophomore. His youngest son is a charming 8th grader at Memorial where I work, and I enjoy his frequent visits to "Fabio", the dog candy holder in our office. Greg was very involved in coaching and encouraging his boys and others in sports, and it has been a very sad week for all the people who love this special family.

Two weeks ago, we were watching the varsity play after the freshman game, and Greg was up in the pressbox watching as his son hit home the game-winning run. Today I was down taking pictures as the boys had their pre-game huddle, and I heard their coach telling them "We lost a great man last week. This is our first home game since Greg Miller's death, and I want us to win it for him." The flag was flying at half-mast in his honor, and the boys played their hearts out to beat South Albany (who had beat them last night), 9-7.
After the game as we parents were sitting there chatting, waiting for our boys, the talked turned to Greg and how his number 22 was being retired. Someone pointed out a plaque with his name and number up on the pressbox. When I looked up there, I noticed not only Greg's plaque, but one with Tyler's name and number.Tonight was our last home game, and I wanted to get a picture of Nick in front of the clubhouse. When I looked at it tonight, I noticed the last name on the list of donaters was Greg Miller.
Nothing can make up for the terrible loss of a loving father and husband, but I am glad for the respect and love that is being shown for Greg and his family.

No comments: