Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tea and Trouble Brewing


Aging. Ants. Birthdays. Boys. Humor. Hope. Family. Faith. Mountain Climbing. Motherhood. Perfection. Pets. Travel. Tea - yes, of course, tea. Tea and Trouble Brewing, the latest book by Dorcas Smucker, covers these delightful topics and many more. As a faithful follower of her blog, "Life in the Shoe,"I click on the newspaper column link she posts each month. This book is a compilation of these columns. What a pleasure to read them again, one after another, because reading one column is never enough!

One of my favorites is “Imperfect Moms.” Dorcas confesses to forgetting her son’s birthday and to other maternal misdeeds. When Mother’s Day and it’s accompanying appreciation comes, “I feel the gnawing teeth of regret and the sense that maybe I don’t deserve the gratitude because of everything I got wrong.” But remembering the months her family spent in Kenya helping at a school and an orphanage for boys, all of who would have given anything for a mom, it’s obvious that “an imperfect mom is indescribably better than no mom at all.”

“If not having a mother is like being at sea level, and having a perfect, smiling, patient mom who never forgets to notify the tooth fairy is like being at the top of Mount Hood, then having a flawed and scatterbrained mom who makes the kids pack their own lunches and who punishes the wrong child now and then is actually about at Timberline Lodge.” This sentence makes me happy for two reasons.

Reason 1:  I love a well-written, long, complex sentence!  (Long, meandering sentences are more likely to flow from my fingers!) Each phrase in this long sentence adds an essential layer as it builds to the logical and satisfying conclusion!

Reason 2:  A flawed and scatterbrained mom might be a merciful description of myself. I was once so outraged by the insolent disrespect expressed by my middle-school son at the dinner table that I impulsively tossed the contents of my full water glass in his face. There was also the humiliating call from the elementary school secretary, “Your son came to school in his stocking feet today. Could you bring his shoes?”  But hey, at least I never forgot any of my children’s birthdays!

An empty nester now, I sometimes look back and wish I had done some things differently.  I appreciate the advice from Dorcas,  “Give yourself some grace: We are allowed to make mistakes.” Think about it - Timberline Lodge is pretty high up on the mountain, after all!

Speaking of mountains, the chapter, “Climbing My Mountain,” contains one of my favorite paragraphs, which I continue to ponder. “It is strange, the things we classify as impossible, tucking them into that box in our heads without ever asking why we put them there or who we could ask for help or what would happen if we tried or why we’re afraid of only partial success.” (Oh, look, it’s another wonderfully long complex sentence!) The chapter concludes with wondering what mountains may be next... “Perhaps real ones like Mary’s Peak or Black Butte, or maybe those large impossibilities that loom in the imagination as enormous as Cape Perpetua but can be conquered quietly, step by slow determined step, breath by breath, up and up.”

By now, you can understand why my church’s women’s retreat planning team is very excited that Dorcas is going to be our retreat speaker in February 2013. SACC women, you won’t want to miss out!

Challenging, entertaining, amusing, heartwarming, and thought-provoking….this book is just plain fun to read. I have to stop writing about it now.  But wait….

How is keeping your marriage healthy like fighting ants?
How is a Beaver football game like an Amish church service? (Dorcas was raised Amish so she knows what she’s talking about!)

If you want to know the answers, you’ll just have to read the book!  Dorcas has provided me with an extra copy to give away to a lucky reader. To get your name in a drawing to win it, leave a comment on this blog, sharing a “flawed or scatterbrained” parenting moment. (If you’re not a parent, any scatterbrained moment will do!)  If you’ve never experienced a flawed or scatterbrained moment of any type, leave a comment sharing the secrets of your success (please!). If your comment is a long, meandering sentence, it may possibly find it’s way to the top of the pile when I do the drawing! (Don’t worry, no one expects ordinary folks like us to craft a long sentence with the flair Dorcas has mastered!) You could also share the link to this review on Facebook for an extra entry in the drawing! Check back here next Tuesday for the results.

If you’re not the lucky winner, you can purchase this book by sending a check for $15 to Dorcas Smucker, 31148 Substation Drive, Harrisburg, OR 97446.  You can also purchase her previous books, Ordinary Days, Upstairs the Peasants are Revolting, and Downstairs the Queen is Knitting for $15 each, or get all four for $40, postage included. 

If you want to pay by credit card, the books are also available on Amazon.

(Two of these books, Upstairs the Peasants are Revolting and Downstairs the Queen is Knitting, are also available at the Albany Public Library.  If you check them out and read them, I have no doubt you’ll want to buy some to give as Christmas gifts!)

(Oh, guess what! I inquired if there was any possibility that this book might come out as an e-book or audiobook, and Dorcas confided that she is looking into the possibility of both! Stay tuned!)

18 comments:

Sarah.Aeschliman said...

wow which one to choose.

I'm a college student, but also a Resident Assistant...sort of like a mom to 50 girls. For fall, I planned a trip to the local corn maze. I was excited, so were my girls. We had about six cars going, so I printed off 6 copies of the directions and off we went. Well, we all ended up getting lost because my directions were bad. oops. Oh google maps, why do I ever trust you?

Twila Smucker said...

I once drove halfway to church with the cheeseball I had made for our Christmas party on the roof of my van. Miraculously, I remembered it part way there and stopped to check..it was still riding on the roof very sedately!

Aurelia Glick said...

I am not a parent, but I definitely do scatterbrained things. Unfortunately, at the time when I am trying to recall a scatterbrained moment, the elude me.

Anonymous said...

In August I went on a work-related trip. It was not a vacation, but it seemed my brain was on vacation part of the time. I was gone three nights and slept in three hotels. I left something behind at each of the hotels. In the first hotel I left Basic-H in the bathroom, no problem. In the second hotel I left a dress in the closet, a problem! In the third hotel I left my cell-phone charger! Maybe next time I travel I should allow myself a cushion of time to thoroughly search the room before I leave.--Linda Rose

Anonymous said...

A scatterbrain moment? Which one do I choose? Today I wanted to look in the refrigerator for some milk I needed. As I shut the door, my daughter informed me that the cinnamon did not belong in the refrigerator! Evidently, I had intended to put away the cinnamon in the spice cupboard before getting the milk, but it went in the refrigerator instead. There are quite a few days when I would forget my head if it wasn't attached!
I know I would definitely enjoy Dorcas' book.:)
Carol
paramedicwife@yahoo.com

Twila said...

Once upon a time I made my husband a grilled cheese sandwich. He took a bite and declared,"There's no cheese in here." I said "Yes there is, I'm sure of it." He said, "No there's not!" Well, I looked and there wasn't. He's never let me forget it.
I loves readings Dorcas's writings. They always make me laugh.

Beverly G. said...

Recently, my fourth-grade, home schooled son could not find his reading workbook. This is not an infrequent occurrence, so my husband threatened a monetary fine or multiple push-ups if it wasn't found soon. Sometime after my son had searched every room in the house without success, I opened the binder of answer keys and there was the workbook, right where I had left it the day before in the middle of grading a lesson. No, my husband didn't make me pay up or do any push ups.

Anonymous said...

My most scatterbrained moment happened on a trip to Cozumel with my husband. Having hearing that there were water snakes around...I peeled my eyes for the duration of our snorkeling trip. Imagine my fear when I saw one passing right in front of my eyes...not only did it pass right in front of my eyes..but it decided to do a u turn and swim right up next to me wrapping itself around my arm...I started screaming hysterically, "There's a snake on my arm...There's a snake on my arm" The leader of our group was some distance away in the water and yelled to me that he could see it and was on his way to help me....it is a wonder I didn't pass out in the water! He made his way to me and said, You have got to calm down so I can help you...my arm was flailing up and down because I had previously tried to grab it off but the touch of the snake had sent me into greater hysteria. As I calmed down...he gently touched my arm...looked me in the eye and said, "Mam" you are going to be fine! It is just the strap of your life jacket that has come loose....Was I EVER embarrassed! Not only was I scatterbrained...but my brain had tricked me into actually feeling snake skin when it was a belt....made me wonder how anyone in times of stress can testify correctly!
Marilyn Fmartin816@comcast.net

mbw said...

I never know if I like Dorcas' writing because I wonder if she has been a mouse in the corner of my house taking notes on my scatterbrained (but trying b=very hard) life, or if it is all the Oregon references making me homesick as I grew up about 1/2 hour north of her in Corvallis! She always reminds me to take my shortcomings to God instead of trying to fix them myself!

Barbara Miller said...

I have a taco chicken rice dish that I like to make and it's a family favorite. I made it one night for dinner and as we were sitting at the table ready to eat I thought, " Why does this stuff look so different?" The dish didn't seem as full as usual. As we began eating, suddenly it dawned on me what was wrong. I had forgotten to put the chicken in! My lovely family ate it with complaining!

Miller scribe said...

We have a hard & fast rule at our house- if you use up the last of something write it on the grocery list and/or if you want mom to get something at the store when she makes the next weekly trek to town, you MUST write it on the list. This flawed, scatterbrained mom will not be held responsible for anything not on 'the list'.
I enjoy Dorcas' down-to-earth style!

Anonymous said...

Scatterbrained doesn't begin to describe my personality.In my senior year of high school I was nominated for Miss Space Cadet at our senior breakfast. Luckily I didn't win. My friend Karen did though and she demanded a recount.
I think that having children has added to the craziness. There is nothing like having your kids call you on a blunder.
My oldest son always asks if I have my keys because locking myself out of the house is a common occurrence.

Amy said...

One time I put my baby in the bathtub with her diaper on! Amy

Donella said...

I turned on the hot water in the sink to thaw something, and stepped out into the garage to do something else quickly while the sink filled. A long while later I stepped back into the house to discover a river coming down the hall with a waterfall sounding in the distance. Some folks like water features in their homes , but this was not the relaxing, feel-the-tension-slipping-away-while-you-listen-to-the-sound-of-water effect. It took five bath towels and plenty of rags and aprox. 2 years off my life. =(

Vivian said...

Well, my dears, you're not the only ones. Just a few evenings ago I walked away from a frying tortilla and went upstairs to change a diaper, resulting in a blackened disk and a, shall we say, less-than-impressed husband. And not so long ago I had my toddler in the bathtub and forgot her-- I thought she was taking a nap until she called me. Thank God for guardian angels who cover for our foolishness!

Theodorella said...

Although I'm not a parent, I definitely still have scatterbrained moments to delight in, but right now I cannot think of any such incident. So that is my scatterbrained moment! Not being able to think of any scatterbrained moment. :) And I would love to read Dorcas's book. She is amazing!

Unknown said...

I want this book.......please!?!?!?!????

Unknown said...

I didn't read the directions.........Um. I once almost left my son in the car all day. The only reason I noticed him was because I had put my lunch bag in the back seat of my van. When I went to retrieve my bag, I saw that I still had my toddler with me!!! So glad I caught that mistake!!!