Monday, August 11, 2008

Softball Tongue Wagging

Once again I choose to demonstrate my great humility and lack of pride. Tonight our softball team (last place) was scheduled to play the first place team (Grace Bible) in the playoffs. Only 6 of our players showed up. Sadly, Nick couldn't come because Taco Bell claimed him first. The other team had about 18 players, so we forfeited the game, and then some of their players joined us in a just-for-fun game. They were a good group and we did have a lot of fun. Will didn't bother to keep score, he engaged in photography instead. I was shocked and appalled to view pictures of three separate at-bats that all showed me with my tongue out. I will spare you and show only one of them.
However, notice the halo-like glow around my head. I had no idea I had such an aura.
Now, I have been aware all my life that I have an uncontrollable tongue. It comes out when I read, write, sew, play piano, type, work in the yard, etc., etc. I did not realize that it also came out when I was engaged in athletic activities. Even standing way out in right field, (where, as the weakest link, I always stand alert and ready) the photo showed the tongue out.
Looking at all the pictures Will took that revealed some rather peculiar stances, I think we might be able to make a book or video, "How not to play softball". I fear to think what he might post on his Facebook. But he does it in love. He thinks I'm cute.

Craig, on the other hand, is a fantastic ball player. He even smiles when he's running the bases. I might smile too if I hit triples.
I wonder if any Olympic athletes have ever had to fight to overcome such a difficult, unconscious habit? Because I don't think I have ever seen one of them wagging their tongue around while engaged in intense skillful physical activity.

My brother Tom recently sent me a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0bI1dHmjjw to a video of his adorable little girl who at less than two years of age, sticks her tongue out and wiggles it all over the place while she is playing! Proof that it is genetic and therefore impossible to overcome. But very cute on her!

1 comment:

My Blog Place & Photo Share said...

I wish I could have watchd you play this summer. I would have had fun taking some of those pictures for YOUR scrapbook.

OBTW - I found you.

Webb