Monday, April 27, 2009

Monday, Monday

Thank goodness another Monday is over. This morning when I got to work and checked on Aesop, which tells me all the subs scheduled for the day, I discovered that one job had been put in twice and two subs were coming. I quickly called one and was able to catch her before she came. She was not happy. The other sub came in and we discovered the child she was supposed to work with was absent, so we sent her home after an hour. These things do not make me popular. I picked up a phone call from a parent and listened to a lengthy explanation of why her child would be absent next week due the family taking a trip to visit a friend with terminal cancer. It is very difficult for me to diplomatically handle some of these calls when I have deadlines and lots of stuff happening.

Two of our students ran away together over the weekend, so there were phone calls from their parents and students being called down to be interviewed to find information about them. They are still missing.

A student came back from a week long trip to Mexico, and some people were freaking out about the possibility that he might be carrying swine flu.

A girl came down somewhat worried that she had ingested some Orajel. "It felt so good" on her gums she had used a bunch of it and then read on the package that you should call poison control if you ingested it. Turns out that it's a popular thing for a few girls right now, so that ring had to be busted. What are these kids thinking???

The morning flew by, and I tried to go to lunch at 11:00, but could not get out for 15 minutes because of constant calls. The custodian radioed, asking me to put in a work order to get a clogged toilet fixed. A teacher reported a restroom out of paper towels and blood on the floor, which I relayed to the custodian. A teacher called and told me I needed to cancel a purchase order I had done on Friday. The duplicator in the copy room next door had a major master roll jam and it was quite an inky ordeal to get everything unjammed. Fortunately I was wearing dark colors. A parent came in to pick up a child and told me all about a seven foot pet python a friend of hers had.

During my lunch break I went out and bought some weed killer to spray the clover in our yard while Will and Zeek are up at the posse camp. Will called me just as I was about to head back into the office. He is greatly enjoying the relaxing beauty up there with his cute entertaining puppy and his buddy Bruce. Although apparently Zeek got into something that caused some digestive problems on both ends, possibly during his unauthorized romp to the creek with another doggie friend up there. But being the good pup he is, he kept the nasty business outdoors.

On Friday, some trucks pulled up and portable cyclone fencing was put up around the big grassy area in the front half of our school that is not parking lot. We were told it was going to be turned into a parking lot for the high school next door. Instant uproar ensued, and it continued today with many safety and ecological concerns.There was a meeting after school,(which I avoided, having much paperwork to do and not enjoying meetings full of angry people) and a school board meeting tonight will take comments about it.

After school, a parent called, complaining that a hat confiscated from her child hadn't been returned to him. I expressed surprise that I had seen her son still wearing a hat in the hallway under those circumstances. She hung up, called back a few minutes later and said he told her he could wear them in the halls but not in classrooms. Obviously he knows better because it's been an ongoing issue, so she wanted me to know she has now confiscated all his hats for two weeks. Good job Mom.

After school, Nick dropped by to tell me he got an A on his chemistry test. He's doing so good this year. That made me very happy. I'm also very happy that Mr. Gilbert, our assistant principal, will be our principal next year. He is absolutely wonderful to work with.

Since Will was gone and Nick was doing homework, I stayed at work til almost 7 pm, going all the way through my inbox, doing my weekly update of announcements and calendar on our webpage, getting the calendar ready for our calendar meeting tomorrow, catching up on email, preparing some publicity for an upcoming fundraiser, and various other miscellaneous tasks.

So I'm all ready for a fresh start tomorrow.

No comments: