Sunday, October 25, 2009

Camping at McIvar

Friday morning as we prepared to depart for McIvar State Park near Estacada, Will was nearly soaked through his rain gear by the time the fifth wheel was hooked up. As I headed out the door, I perched my sunglasses on my head in a humorous gesture of optimism. Will dropped me off at the library while he went to Coastal Farm in search of better rain wear. I can think of worse things than being in a cozy warm place with a stack of books while the rain pours outside. But the rain let up as we headed north with our bags of books and raingear, and it was the last rain we saw until it sprinkled as we returned home today.

This campground is thickly forested with large private sites. Inside the fifth wheel, I could look out all the windows and feel like I was in a cabin in the woods. My optimism paid off as we hiked in sunshine that afternoon. The weather was gorgeous all day Saturday as well.

The park is huge, with 13 miles of hiking and horseback trails. Our explorations included watching some guys fly their model helicopters in the model airplane field and viewing groups of disc golfers on the huge disc golf courses.


There was a beautiful big open dog run area, and of course Zeek loves walking the trails with us. Although he'd prefer if we ran instead of walked. Several times I heard Will say, "Zeek, I am not your wagon." Zeek jumped gracefully up onto this ledge, but getting down was a different story.


A wonderful relaxing weekend, and now I'm ready for a great week of work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a place we need to go someday!