Saturday, December 19, 2009

Winter Break Begins

And what a break it will be! My office partner and I stayed a couple hours late Friday stripping down the office, moving everything into the conference rooms. The crews start work on Monday morning, and we should come back to an office with new built-in workstations in two weeks. Of course, that means we'll get to come in the weekend before school resumes to move all our stuff back in. But in the meantime, we can't really work there, so we finally have an excuse to use some of that comp time we've built up!

The last week of school was fun but everyone is so ready for a break. I am still fuming about the mooning incident that took place last Friday. For at least 20 minutes, from the time the last bell rang until the last bus left, two 18-year-olds stood in the large window of the second story apartment across the street and repeatedly bent over and mooned the crowds below. I was about to call 911 to report an out-of-control parent chasing and screaming at a child on the side of the school when I heard someone in the office say, "He's flashing us again!" I looked out the window and sure enough, there it was. So I reported both incidents.

A police officer eventually made contact with the mooners, who admitted to doing it but supposedly didn't realize that everyone in the crowded parking lot and all the buses were watching. They were only mooning a friend of theirs and they were very apologetic and embarrassed. Yeah right. But according to the nice policeman, no crime was committed. Ok folks, go ahead and moon crowds of parents and children across the street from a school. It's perfectly all right in Albany, Oregon.

Anyway, I am thrilled to have the next week off, because I have a Christmas letter to finish and get out, my final shopping to do, all the gifts to wrap, some baking to do, and various other miscellaneous and sundry items on the "To Do" list which I am about to make!

I had a delightful surprise when Anise and Venisa came over last night. We made cut- out Christmas cookies together. How lovely to spend time with a grown up niece who is so beautiful inside and out. (And her mother too of course. Except she said I was bossy sometimes.) Oh well, I guess it's true!

I wonder how many people out there are all ready for Christmas and have no preparations remaining? I suspect I may be behind the average 50-something-year-old matron in my readiness...but the preparations are half the fun! Merry Christmas!

No comments: