Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Walk on the Edge

Wow.  I just blew in from my afternoon walk. Southbound I was very tempted to give up and turn around, but I put my head down and fought that wind to continue to make forward progress. On the return trip, gusts of wind actually forced me into effortless running spurts! (And I am NOT a runner!) Fortunately, most of my route is east-west.

I watched debris fly off piles at property where an old house was recently demolished and hoped nothing would fly my way. The crackle of branches falling in the trees bordering a field sent a herd of sheep running toward the road, stopping to look at me hopefully as if perhaps I would save them. Ha, not such good animal instincts there!

Large groups of dry crackling leaves scuttled across the road like herds of little animals, only to turn around and swirl to the other side again. With great anticipation I approached my cozy home, only to have my face assaulted by bark chips flying up from the landscaping!  My house greeted mewith the aroma of the beef stew simmering on the stove. The wind continues to groan and whistle around outside as I wait for the water to boil for a cup of tea before I resume Saturday chores.

The best part of this little windstorm is that it's only 55 degrees outside! The weather forecast for Tangent says we will have 25 mile an hour winds for a couple of hours. My walk is done, but my work has just begun. Just too much fun today!

No comments: