Saturday, December 27, 2014

Monday Dec. 22: Zipline in Maui!

We headed a few miles down the road to Kapalua Monday morning for our eagerly awaited zipline adventure. Steve's family has ziplined before, but we old folks had not. As we neared our destination, I realized to my horror that I was wearing sandals instead of the close-toed shoes that were required in order to participate. What? Would I miss all the fun as a consequence of rushing out the door unprepared? Hope arose within my when I saw a general store next to the zipline business, but first I headed into the zipline place. Surely it was commonplace for people to forget to change out of their sandals, right? Surely they would have something available for foolish women who forgot to follow directions, right? I was told they had a pair of size 10 shoes that I could borrow and that the store sold close-toed water shoes. I decided the less-than-fashionable size 10 shoes offered good support and would be my best option. When I left the building and looked down at those hideous big shoes, I got to laughing hysterically and my poor great-nephew Stanley, who was accompanying me back to the car to store my sandals, probably feared I was really losing my mind. But he kindly laughed along with me.
I tried not to think about how many sweaty feet had been in these shoes before mine. Fortunately, I had a pair of my own socks in the trunk.
Apparently Rachelle wasn't in the mood to pose for a picture as we waited for our shuttle van!
We were driven up the mountain over muddy roads with deep ruts, then walked a ways up the muddy road till we hopped into these cool rigs for an exciting ride over a muddier, more deeply rutted road.

JD and his mom Katie looking over the view before we get outfitted.
Everyone is geared up and walking to the first take-off.

But first we get to walk over this bridge.
See the little people flying across? We'll be doing that soon!
Is anyone surprised that JD volunteers to be the first to go?!
When the helper at the landing holds out his arms, you must follow his lead to slow yourself down, yes, just like that.
Katie is ready to go….
And so is Carol! It is a great triumph when she goes gliding down, putting to rest the regret that she was unable to gather the courage to jump off the tower to zip line at the family reunion in Nebraska, what, 9 years ago was it?
Off we go, trekking to the next jump off point. I thought I would try to capture myself with this cool backdrop - the ocean far down the mountain below me. Oops, failed to capture the backdrop on this one. Forgot to smile too. Let's try it again.
This selfie-taking is really hard work. So much concentration is needed.
Still couldn't get the view I was aiming for, and boy, did I ever forget to smile! These are some selfies that won't be showing up as a FB profile picture, but they are so ridiculous I just had to share the mirth I felt when I saw them! And why didn't anyone tell me my helmet was crooked? Stanley was kind enough to tell me a little later.
This was pretty fun to walk across. That's our group at the other end….

One of my biggest fears was that I wouldn't make it all the way to the landing platform on these rides. JD was the biggest concern here, as he was not over the weight limit by much. He and I went down together, I believe on the third one. I didn't quite get all the way there, and the guy had to throw me a rope and pull me in. JD was farther out than myself, and here he is, catching the rope.
Way to go, JD!

He was actually smiling and looked like he was having fun while getting pulled in. Wow.
Carol, in for a successful landing.
The great-aunts and uncle had so much fun! For some reason,  my companions teased me a bit about screaming, but I feel  they misinterpreted the sounds. It was just joyful loud expressions of glee followed by oh no I'm coming in too fast HELP ME!
Oh look, now we're above the bridge we crossed earlier.
Onward we go to this somewhat intimidating looking station, which leads us back to our starting location where we have lunch, a chicken sandwich and cookie.
I wish I knew what JD was describing right there!
JD and Carol
Katelyn
Can't decide which I like better so posting both!
Carol, the other purple aunt.

JD got a good push off a couple of these to make sure he made it to the landing.
And there he goes!
Flying through the air surrounded by all the beauty - "fun" doesn't even begin to describe it!
Stanley's enjoying it too, and we look forward to seeing the videos soon.
Such an awesome group to play with!

All too soon, we had gone through all seven zip lines and were heading back. I was so thankful that the big ugly size 10s were the shoes that had walked through all the muddy trails, and that my lovely new running shoes were still looking pristine back at the house. It was truly a blessing in disguise! Of course, when I went out to get my shoes so I could trade, could I find Steve's black SUV? Good grief, there were so many different parking lots out there. Which one? I raced frantically through them, connected as they were by little stairways, not wanting to give up and admit I couldn't find the vehicle, but eventually I had to hang my head in shame and go back to admit my failure. Good grief.

Back at at the house, it was time to do our nails. As the mother of 3 boys, I have to say, this is the first time in my life that I got out nail polish and was joined by others in the household. These girls travel well stocked, and I am now sporting some nice glittery polish instead of my usual unobtrusive bland pale pink.

Galen and JD were battling another close game...
…and Rachelle was unable to resist the temptation to surprise her napping father with a little color on his toenails.
After much giggling by all of us, Steve awoke to find his toenails very colorful. It was not a look that was destined to last very long. Rachelle obediently removed it.
A few colorful clouds reflected in the pool, steaks were put on the grill, and another very fun day in Maui soon came to a close.

No comments: