Sunday, November 13, 2005

A Treasured Quilt


I have very few prized possessions, but this quilt is destined to become one. It was sewed together by my dad a couple of years ago and it had a long rest on my closet shelf. About a month ago Mom offered to get it quilted for me. I hastened down there! She put the quilt in on a Thursday, and by Saturday just two weeks later, it was ready for me to come down and put the last three inches of stitches in! She is an amazing quilter, as is my Aunt Grace, who came to visit from Nebraska just in time to help with this project. It is hard to believe that Aunt Grace recently celebrated her 80th birthday. I can only hope to be that cute-and-fun-to-be-with when I am her age! I thank them as well as my sisters-in-law, sisters and nieces who came with and without me to do some stitching. It is truly a thing of beauty and I will treasure it always. The picture doesn't do justice to the vibrant colors and quilted designs. I'll be happy to show it to you in person when you come to visit after it's all done!

The first time I went down, I remembered to bring my reading glasses. The second Saturday, I forgot them. I am challenged enough already at stitching, and if I couldn’t see what I was doing – yikes. So I called my loving husband and son, who were shopping in Albany and soon to come to Brownsville, requesting that they bring me some glasses from the Dollar Store. They did, and boy, what a beautiful pair of specks. I’ve had some ugly glasses in my 40-some years of wearing them, but I think these ranked right there at the top of extreme dorkiness! For some reason I felt obligated to explain to everyone who stopped by during quilting that the unbecoming black glasses perched on my nose weren’t really my normal glasses. But if you’re ever quilting down there and you need some glasses, I have them hidden behind a framed picture on a bookshelf in the sewing room. Help yourself, they work great!

1 comment:

SAHM said...

I am so glad to see more postings. :) I've been bored without your stories. I like your quilt! I would have quilted last week, but doubtful the van would've made it....plus it's about $100 of gas for the journey. My quilt is still being stored there.....need to find several days to commit to quiliting it apparently..but I thing there's a few folks in line ahead of me. :0)