Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Babysitting Brendan

We got to babysit my great-nephew Brendan last night for the first time in ages. It was a nice sunny afternoon until we took him to the park behind our house. It started to sprinkle, but he didn't care. There was so much to explore and clean up. Yes, I said clean up. It bothered him to see the bark chips out of place – spilling out onto the sidewalk, on the grass, on the steps to the slide. Brendan would not go up the steps to the slide without cleaning them up - picking up bark chips one at a time and throwing them down. Nick reached down and swept them all off with his hand! What fun it was to watch a little boy run around and play again!

It's a rough job cleaning up all these bark chips from the grass, but somebody's gotta do it! I gracefully saved myself from a nasty fall when I was backing up taking a picture and stumbled over the black boundary of the playground area.


I hope I’m not in trouble with Jody today. Mr. Sarcastic Bear was out at the house, and Brendan pressed his hand and heard a few less than polite phrases that I certainly hope he doesn’t repeat!

When Jody returned, we looked at the pictures from the playground on the TV. Brendan was jumping up and down cheering when he suddenly stopped and said to himself, "That’s too loud." Then he had to say one final loud "yay" before he settled back down! A self-disciplined child – just amazing!

Ever since the birth and toddlerhood of my baby brother Tom when I was a mature teenager, I have believed little boys to be just about the most delightful creatures on earth. It is really too bad they can't still be that cute and fun to be with when they're teenagers.....

No comments: