Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It's Contagious!

I visited a doctor the other day because I had symptoms of strep throat. It was late in the day, and the friendly nurse and I were chatting as she opened a package of swabs. She held them in her hand as we talked, then put them back in the package and left, saying the doctor would be in to see me in a few minutes. I haven't had my throat swabbed in many years, but I thought her procedure was a bit odd. She opened the package to take to the doctor so he could do it? I puzzled over it as I sat there waiting. A few minutes later she returned, saying, "I feel really stupid asking this, but did I swab your throat?" She said she was about to run the culture when she realized she didn't remember looking down my throat. She was very apologetic, saying it was the end of a long day. I assured her she couldn't have picked a more understanding person to forget! She then opened a new package and actually used it! Let's hear it for nice forgetful women!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, did you have strep throat?

EG

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! Here I sit with strep throat myself! UGH!! I do enjoy reading your blog! Thanks for sharing. I especially enjoy the pictures when you add them!

MacNana said...

Thanks, it's so exciting to get some comments for a change!

My results came back negative for strep but they said I may have skewed them because I started myself on some leftover antibiotics during a painfully sleepless night at 3:00 AM the day I went in. So the dr put me on antibiotics thinking it probably was strep. Weird.

Pastor Scott said...

Ok - That's hilarious!

Hope you get better....sore throats bite!

SAHM said...

This is embarassing for whichever nurse it refers to, but I know someone who actually poked a needle into the arm of a pt (during a very busy flu shot clinic, some years ago)and realized she had forgotten to fill the syringe with said vaccine. No, the person was not injected with anything, but did get a second, effective shot. :)