Thursday, March 08, 2007

Not Another Sweatshirt!

Nick's sweatshirt troubles continue. I had eventually bought a new clearance sweatshirt to replace the previously detroyed one, and he lost that about a month ago. He has been making do with a couple of shabby old ones because this mother was just plain done buying sweatshirts for this kid.

Now I have to admit my parenting inconsistency. I can't believe I allowed myself to be manipulated into buying a new one last Wednesday. I think he might have conspired with our youth pastor to figure out the one way to get me to shell out the money for another sweatshirt. How could a mother resist buying a sweatshirt that says "I love you" across the front? Especially when most of the other kids in the youth group are buying them?

So, he's had this sweatshirt one week. One week to enjoy wearing a pristine nice new unripped, unstained, unbleached sweatshirt. It's possible that a boy wearing a sweatshirt that says "I love you" may receive more hugs from girls than boys not wearing such a shirt. Of course, they may also have to manfully deal with a few derisive comments from guys who are not cool and confident enough to wear such a sweatshirt.

Today Nick, along with over 200 of his classmates, rode one of the rooter bus to Portland to support the girls basketball team in the state playoffs. Imagine my sense of inevibility after he returned home and showed me his sweatshirt, which has a large glop of the remants of gum that "someone" stuck onto it. How do these things happen?

The gummy sweatshirt is in the freezer hardening and will be there until he and I find the time and the patience to deal with it. It may be there a very long time. If anybody has any good ground-in gum removing hints, let me know.

(I was waiting to post this til I had a picture of it but we weren't home much this weekend and I don't have it yet!)

No comments: