Sunday, August 16, 2009

Exciting Times at Target Part 2

Feeling happy and excited from the wonderful news from Ashley, I headed back to the baby department to fulfill my purpose for being at Target: to purchase a baby swing for my sister's new baby. My SIL Carol was going in on it with me. I looked them over, and of course the one I really wanted was a little out of the budget. This cool swing not only swung, it also could be a rocker or a jumper. I called anther SIL Anisa but of course, she already had purchased a gift. After all, the shower is tomorrow. She is always prepared.

While I was telling her all about this cool swing and wanting to find another person to go in on it, a genial looking middle-aged gentleman with gray hair waving near his shoulders approached me with a wad of cash in his hands. "How much do you need?" he says. "I'll be happy to give it to you." Startled, I politely declined and finished my phone conversation with Anisa. He still stood there with this huge wad of cash.

"I mean it, I'm happy to share this with you," he said. "I just won it yesterday in the lottery. Just tell me how much you need!"

I thanked him very much but told him I really wasn't comfortable taking money from a stranger, and I had other family members I could check with. (Surely I'm not the only one who waits til the last minute to buy a gift!)

He told me he would be nearby and to come find him if I changed my mind. "I think it's important to invest in the lives of children!" he said.

I bought the cheaper swing that's JUST a swing, but later on I got ahold of a niece who hadn't shopped yet either and she was happy to chip in. So I'll go exchange it tomorrow!

If I the rich gentleman is still wandering around waving his cash, I may solicit him for school supplies for children at my school....or college money for my boys....and my hubby wants me to mention that he'd really like a laser level...

But I feel pretty comfortable with my decision to decline money from a friendly old guy walking around with a big wad of cash!

1 comment:

TSHAA said...

how crazy and cool at the same time that this man was offering you his money. That would have thrown me totally off guard!