Sunday, December 06, 2009

Good Will, Bad Will

I love a Saturday morning when there is nothing urgent on the agenda, just a day to get up whenever you wake up, drink coffee, read the paper, and dilly dally on the computer before you start the day's chores. The urgency of the seasonal to-do list hasn't taken over me just yet, so yesterday I was slothfully enjoying the morning until around 11:00. Will put some laundry in the washer and I commented how kind he was to get it started. I also took it as a hint to get busy, since of course he had been productive already for several hours.

My pleasure at his helpfulness lasted until I transferred his laundry to the dryer. To my horror, I beheld a flannel sheet that had been in the RV dog crate, mixed with kitchen towels as well as Will's clothes! Whites and darks were mixed as well, but that was a minor side issue compared to a dog item mixed with kitchen towels! I calmly, tactfully mentioned this faux pas to him. (It goes without saying, the kitchen towels got rewashed.)

Soon he came in to get my car key to put a can of de-icer in my car to help me out on the busy mornings when he is unable to go out and warm up my car for me. A few minutes later he brought me a cutting board that he had repaired for me.

In amazement I inquired, "How can you be both so bad and so good at the same time?!!"

And so it is. Since then I'm afraid it has become very easy for me to label the things he does and says. "Good Will." "Bad Will." If he calls me psycho or wacko for my feelings about dog germs, "Bad Will". Of course, Good Will is far more dominant than Bad Will. I observe myself also having these two sides. In fact, everyone does. The best thing is that both the Bad Will and the Good Will make me laugh. Frequently. Loudly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You? Laugh loudly? Frequently?! Every once in a while I chuckle to myself and wonder what those nurses must of thought of us laughing loudly in a sick baby's hospital room! jb