Monday, September 19, 2011

Don't be afraid of watermelon!

What a beautiful month of September - the geraniums, roses, and Black-eyed Susans are keeping my back yard in a state of beauty and we are still eating most of our meals on the patio. My everbearing strawberries have had a very tasty fall crop. I love going out and picking fresh tomatoes and zucchini.

But fall is in the air. Yesterday when I stopped at my favorite produce place, the 4 Seasons Farmers Market, there were no Hermiston watermelon. I asked the proprietor if they were done for the year and he said yes, most likely. "But did you notice the black watermelon?" "Yes," replied I, "but I was afraid to try them." He assured me they have great flavor and yes, the flesh is pink like a normal watermelon. I consented to try one. He judged my selection as too soft and went out to choose just the right one for me. He helped me carry my fresh local corn on the cob, nectarines, apples, cantaloupe and watermelon to my car. After I closed the trunk, he shook his head and said in a slightly scornful tone as he walked away, "You don't need to be afraid of watermelon!"

Ok, so I wasn't afraid of watermelon, duh. What I meant was, I didn't want to spend money on something that we might not like.

And speaking of awesome produce, the strawberries at another fruit stand, the one 7 Mile Lane just off Hwy 34, are delicious! I got a flat for half price ($10) because they had been picked the day before.

And what about the black watermelon? The family liked it. It has a good flavor, but the texture is a little firmer. I definitely prefer the normal beautiful green watermelon! But I'm glad I tried it and I will try not to be "afraid" to try a new fruit again. At least if I am, I won't admit it in the hearing of a produce store proprietor!

1 comment:

SAHM said...

I can assure you that we are not out of Hermiston watermelons here in Hermiston. :) Haven't heard of a black one though. I'd be hesitant too.