Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Birthday Gifts

So who really cares about birthday gifts? I'm not much of a gift person, sure they're fun, but it's no big deal to me one way or the other. My husband and boys were gone quite awhile shopping on Saturday. My birthday was Monday. After school Nick asked me for a dollar to buy a soda. I asked him how his allowance could be gone already. "I can't tell you Mom." Why not? He told me to think about what day it was. So of course I gave him a dollar. We stopped by Will's office on our way home and I gave him a little greenery arrangement in a mug to bring some Christmas cheer to his office. He had a piece of birthday cake waiting for me and tried to convince me that they had a cake there just for me. Yep, I believed that one. Their volunteer coordinator was there and she decided it was time to give Nick an official volunteer shirt. (He helps out as a techie.) She told him she would have his name embroidered on it - "Lil Will". Nick was a bit concerned about that. The next day he was talking to his dad about it and Will told him not to worry, he fixed it. He ordered it to say "Turd." (Please excused the offensive language. It's just that Will is sometimes a bit jealous of Nick's knowledge and abilities with computers and reacts a bit immaturely!)

We had kind of a busy evening, and a little after 9:00, Nick decided to go to bed. He's really good about saying good night, and after I got my hug and he started to go up the stairs, I said reluctantly, "I really hate to bring this up, but did you maybe have something you wanted to give me before you go to bed?" Oh, no! Consternation ensued as all the males in this house realized that although they had recognized and "celebrated" my birthday, they had all completely forgotten about presenting their gifts to me. In fact, their gifts were still out in the Durango or the garage, unwrapped. So they scurried about, arguing about whether or not it was necessary to wrap them since they would immediately get unwrapped. They managed to find my stash of gift bags and made the gifts quite presentable. If you want any chocolate truffles or gourmet coffee drinks, stop by. Since they shopped at Costco, I'm set for awhile! I got some jewelry from Will, so I will keep that for myself. Also when we went to my parents house last night, Mom presented me with my completed quilt and I got to bring it home! Ain't birthdays great! This was definitely one to remember!

1 comment:

SAHM said...

I love it! Your blog is always good for a laugh, not a snicker, a full laugh! I'm not sure which part is the funniest, although I laughed the most at Will's plan for Nick's shirt. Poor Nick....let him know I think it makes up for the easy life that the youngest always gets....thanks to the older kids paving the way. :) Ha! HOpe my sisters don't read that one....at least not Jody.