Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Just Sittin' Around Waitin'

Friday afternoon I received one of the most exciting phone calls ever from my husband. "What are you doing tonight?" he asked. "I don't know, what do you want to do?" was my reply. I thought my heart would soar through the roof when I heard his answer. "How about we go furniture shopping?"

To understand the thrill this brought me, you need to know that we have had our current couch and loveseat since our youngest child was born - 14 years. And it wasn'texactly heirloom quality priced furniture. So for the past several years I have been hinting, suggesting, and finally begging and pleading for new furniture. When the springs on the sleeper sofa gave out, he fixed that with a sheet of plywood under the cushions. When that eventually broke in half, he replaced it with a very thick sheet of plywood - maybe two inches? I had to not only complain about the discomfort, though it was certainly very durable, but insist on a change, so he put in a thinner sheet. After I got him to cut it down a bit more so it didn't stick out beyond the cushions, I just gave up. The cushions sink right down to the wood, so we don't use the couch. The kids get that one. The loveseat has held up a little better, although it too is quite saggy, so that's the one Will and I sit on. The couch developed some springs that poked out the back and occasionally reached out and grab a person as you walk by. No problem, get a wire cutter. The cushions have become extremely frayed, to the point that there are obvious holes. But NO! We are not getting new furniture until all these big lumoxes are out of the house. As long as they're here rolling over the back of the couch, eating, drinking, wrestling, it would be a waste of money.

So when I heard those magic words, I wasted no time. We arranged to meet the moment I got off work. We searched Friday evening and a good portion of Saturday. So what if I didn't have a Christmas tree, my house wasn't decorated, my shopping is barely started and my Christmas cards weren't addressed? Will wanted to go furniture shopping! I asked him, "Sweetheart, what finally made you ready?" His answer made perfect sense. "I finally got tired of only having one place that's comfortable enough to sit, and whenever anyone else sits there you both lean toward the middle." So we found a very basic, sturdy, durable, practical couch and loveseat. It will be delivered sometime very soon we hope. We also got a coffee table and end table.

So in the meantime, we are just sittin' around here, waitin' for the new stuff. You'll notice how our spoiled baby of the family gets as much room as he wants on the couch. The middle child is used to making do with what's left over. We really appreciate his easy going personality.

We just had to share our "Before" pictures. Watch for the "After" pictures coming soon!

2 comments:

SAHM said...

How exciting! And, may I ask, is that your Christmas present? Or will you have to go the birthday route and give some reminders? :) Kevin is away right now, using his 2 HOURS before we leave for the valley to get me something. But, alas he has Tavin & Simon with him...which means by the end of today I'll know what I'm getting. :) Are you going to sell your remnants to a poor, hapless college student? Or will they become garage loungers?

Anonymous said...

Just a side note, I can soooo relate to your poor middle child. life can be so cruel.... :-)
Melissa