Sunday, July 22, 2007

Bandon

Last fall I bought some raffle tickets to support a local youth program from a kid who came by the school office. Was I ever shocked when I learned that I had won a night in an oceanview suite at the Inn at Face Rock in Bandon as well as a gift certificate for Bandon Dunes. I was unfamiliar with Bandon Dunes but soon learned from an envious golfer friend that it is a premier golf resort. Since I'm not a golfer, I used the certificate to book a night there in a Lily Pond cottage (the only opening they had).

Upon our arrival at the Inn at Face Rock, we immediately noticed this sign, front and center in the lobby window. Our senses on high alert, we anxiously awaited the arrival of pets all night, fully prepared to comply with this request and report such arrivals immediately. Alas, there were no pets in sight.

We enjoyed a very relaxing couple of days. The weather was cloudy but warm. We visited Simpson State Park in nearby Charleston, and Will was thrilled to accompany me through the formal garden there. It will be gorgeous in a few weeks when the dahlias are blooming. The walk around the pond was my favorite part.
At Bandon Dunes Lodge, we had probably the most expensive dinner we've ever experienced. The food was arranged so beautifully it was a shame to eat it. It was a work of art. And delicious besides. I wish I would have had my camera. We didn't exactly fit in with all the groups of men wearing vests who were having dinner in there...but we enjoyed it anyway. It's good for us simple folks to get away and see how the other half lives once in awhile!

No comments: