Saturday, July 28, 2007

Treasures from my Mailbox

My sister Hope called me from Costco on Thursday to confirm my address. She had run into an old friend of our parents, Mae Etta Kennel, who said she had just come across my birth announcement and would like to send it to me.

Sure enough, today an envelope from Mae Etta was in my mailbox. Inside was a note from her and a 3-cent postcard postmarked on December 22, 1958 in Cairo, Nebraska, addressed to the Kennels in Toledo, Oregon. Written in green ink in my mother's familiar handwriting, it began:

"A BABY- That which makes the home happier, love stronger, patience greater, hands busier, nights longer, days shorter, purses lighter, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, the future brighter -
On December 12 at 12:17 PM, LeAnn Sue arrived, weighing 7#11 oz. We were looking for her two weeks before - everything over by Thanksgiving, but we patiently (?) waited awhile."

I hold this postcard, yellowed and stained after all this time, and marvel that my mother wrote and touched this card nearly 50 years ago. When she penned this card 10 days after my birth, my mother had no idea that I would be blessed with her presence on this earth for only 14 short years. I am so amazed that her good friend saved it all that time and now returned it to me! Words cannot express my appreciation, but I have attempted to do so in a note that is already written and addressed to her. I will not risk procrastination resulting in inaction this time!

Another treasure enclosed was a slide, about which MaeEtta wrote, "In our slides we found this one of your family, taken when we stopped on a Sunday for church and dinner." The slide is labeled "Stan Troyers, 1965". Here it is, a never before seen Troyer family photo.
Back row, John, Dad holding Doug, Mom, Galen, Linda. Front, Mark, David, myself (Look, Will, I really did used to be a blond!), Hope. I'll email it to all my siblings.

What a refreshing and delightful change from the usual junk I find in my mailbox!
And, speaking of birthdays, a Happy Birthday to my big brother John, born more than 50 years ago today! I think you still have as much hair as you did back in the above picture! Were you about 15 back then?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LeAnn, thanks for sharing this. Everyone looks so young in this picture. I forgot how short mom was. But she was a giant of a lady in the things that mattered! We really do have a Godly heritage to pass on to our kids and grandkids. And, I really am 57 today and after working at putting a cement foundation under part of the house today I only feel 157! I love you and can hardly wait to see you all in Sept. John

SAHM said...

I'll never complain again about all the work and "stuff" from having 3 kids. I could've had 8. ;) That picture would be us with Tavin's basketball team. :) That is a great picture.Dad and John look like they were saving up some combovers for future use. :) Elvis would be proud. :) :)