Sunday, March 01, 2009

Another Candidate for Mother of the Year

The past few weeks many students have been absent for up to a week with the flu. Strep throat also seems to be running rampant. Our health room aide called a parent last week to let her know that her 6th grader had a temperature of 101 and need to go home. The parent was very annoyed. Her response was, "I don't have time to deal with a sick kid. Can't you just give her some Tylenol to bring her temperature down and keep her there?"

I am still appalled when I think of this. I wish every kid could have parents who are capable of loving and nurturing them. I can't fix that, but I must be careful that I'm not too busy to take as much time as I should to listen and show kids that I care when they come into the office for help. I need to keep Helen's motto in mind, "People are more important than paperwork!"

No comments: