Thursday, June 03, 2010

No Song and Dance Here!

Tonight when I read the Public Safety Log in the local paper, I regained some confidence in my decision making abilities; confidence that was shaken by my recent car break down.

I read that earlier on Tuesday (the same day my car broke down) a deputy spotted a car pulled over on the interstate, and a woman was on top of the car dancing. She told the deputy her car had started making a "funny noise" so she pulled over. Then she decided it felt good outside and her music was good so she started dancing. "The deputy told the woman she was alarming passing drivers and she agreed to stop. The deputy noticed no signs of impairment other than "poor/odd decision making abilities."(Albany Democrat Herald)

There are several parallels to my break down, but I have to tell you, when my car made funny noises and I pulled over, it never occurred to me to get out and dance. Not only to dance, but to dance ON TOP of the car! I was even afraid to play any music. I just sat there and sent text messages to my loved ones while I was waiting for Will.

If I would have impulsively done such a thing, I wonder how long it would have been before my boys would have received text messages from people reporting that their mom was parked by LBCC and dancing on her car? Would have they been shocked? Or would have they just rolled their eyes and said they thought their mom would have known better than to dance in public?

Since I will never be caught dancing on my car at the side of a public highway, I am pretty confident that I will not be diagnosed with poor or odd decision making abilities. And I feel good about that! I think I'll go to my room and dance now.

No comments: