Saturday, October 15, 2005

A Blustery Rainy Saturday

It's time for the wife and mother to express some views about the perfect family life. Perfectly normal. Doesn't every 14 year old set up a tent on one of the windiest nights so far this fall and spend the night out there with a friend, loving the sound of the rain pounding down. And like all perfect kids, they both leave their shoes out in the rain. Today those kids removed all the junk from the storage area under the eaves in Nick's room, changing mom's plans for her day because now she has to sort and decide what to toss, give away or keep. It was finally time to give away those tiny clothes she could wear after the Prism phase and stored away just in case they ever fit again. Obviously they shrank during storage.
So Nick is making the storage area into a computer storage/workroom. He has already tacked up some peg board and attached containers for all the little pieces and hooks for tools. Since word is out about his computer hobby, he is the recipient of people's unwanted computers along with several he has bought at Goodwill. Seven computers have been taken apart and are in various stages of re-assembly. One is up and running at his desk. So he a storage area has become a necessity. After his no-school day yesterday when he spent hours with the computer parts, I came home to find that yes he had cleaned up after himself, there were three boxes of computer parts and various housing units in my living room. Before his father left on his shopping trip this morning, he left firm orders that they must find a new home out of sight somewhere.
Will had to go to Salem to find some Docker-type pants of a size suitable for him. He just called in a modified panic because the Big and Tall store wasn't open so I did a web search and found another store to try. Then someone came to open the store so hopefully he will find success. Just stay out of the Men's Warehouse, those guys are too good at selling things.
Eric is cleaning his room, actually under the bed which is not a part of his normal chore routine. He brought me a fascinating petrified brown apple that he discovered and informed me that the carpet under the apple was actually cleaner than the rest of the carpet. Then he tells me that he located a missing dvd that we paid for at the video store a month ago. Now he came into the computer room and discovers the monitor to their computer is missing and everthing is unplugged and disconnected. Why does Nick always have to mess with things? Where is he? Back out in the tent. Now the fighting and cross words would start in a normal family, but in this perfect family I can't imagine that scenario.
Well I have put off tackling all the messes that are waiting for me long enough. Can't have this house looking anything less than perfect when the husband returns home with the new pants.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A word by the man who went to the Big and Tall Men's Store. Anyone over 5'16" should take legal action to have the same clothing options as short people. The House was just as clean as I expected it would be and the computer parts filled the garbage can which we must use for household refuse for three more days. All is as it should be in this nearly perfect household. PS. I ironed my own new pants and haven't scared the kid spending the day that I didn't father. God Bless us one and all.

Anonymous said...

congrats on your new family adventure. I just wondered if you have ever entertained the thought of getting a cat? As i recall, it was nearly this time of year not so many a go that one in the neighberhood came up missing. Does your son need any t.v's that don't work? Just remember, the family that blogs together, stays together! singing bro. Doug

SAHM said...

Mom and I sure laughed reading this. I'm afraid I will soon be able to have stories of my normal family. The Hermiston Connection. Simon gave me my name when he noticed me feeding Lucy. (It's only taken him 2 months.) After he pronounced it "GROSS!"

MacNana said...

Brother Doug, I beg of you, please don't mention to Nick that you have a TV that doesn't work. And after having a girl bring a soiled backpack to the office today to tell me that her cat accidentally pooped/peed on it and her mom was coming to bring a different one so could she please leave it in the office for her mom (No, Honey, go ahead and take it to your locker, I'll call your classroom when she gets here), I am quite thankful that I don't have a cat. We had a stinky backpack or two around here during that era. Dawn, I love your new name! That is hilarious! Thanks for sharing!