Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Flood Walk

So it's been raining a little bit the past week - over seven inches the last three days. I took a walk this morning during a lull in the rain while there was some blue in the sky, hoping I could get back before it started again, because I don't walk in the rain, wind or extreme cold. (Yes, I am a weather wimp, according to my husband, who cancels his morning walks only if icy conditions cause him to fear imminent hip breakage due to high probability of falling.) Ten minutes into it, I was being pelted in a downpour! But I was determined to continue until I could go no further. (I knew I would be blocked in another 10 minutes!)

Sure enough, just before Hinck Road I had to turn around. I got to watch a pickup sit at the stop sign  for a few minutes, then finally turn turn toward me and safely traverse the flooded road.
 As I was going around this curve, I heard a car coming behind me and exercised my fastest running speed ever, motivated by the fact that the shoulder has been eroded and abruptly drops off. I won the race and made it safely past the flooded roadway before the car passed through.
 The shoulder now drops off a good two feet some places.

 When I was almost back at the same location where it started raining, it stopped, and lo and behold, look at all the blue sky!
Oh, the joy of a hot shower after being soaked outdoors! I am so thankful for a warm, dry home. My prayers are with all those whose lives have been disrupted by the flooding.

No comments: