Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Lazy Saturday

It is a cloudy, windy Saturday morning, and I am confronted with a strange reluctance to change from my flannel jammies and fleece robe into daytime clothing. Probably because dressing signals a change from the morning coffee/reading/computer time into the Saturday chores mode. And coffee/reading/computer time is so much more appealing right now.

Although the coffee is in short supply. Someone (NOT me for a change) inexplicably broke the coffee pot carafe after I had only had one cup from it. He cleaned it up very nicely and got absolutely no criticism from me. I understand too well how things like that can happen. BUT---only one cup of coffee on a Saturday morning? That will never do. So I braved the cold in my bathrobe and raided the RV for a little French press coffee maker.

Will has so much more discipline than I. He left the table after breakfast and came back a bit later saying he needed to go to town for something and asking what I planned to do today. “The same thing I told you a little while ago when you asked me at breakfast. Clean house and plan menus for the week. What are you REALLY asking?” was my question.

So he sat down and wrote out three questions.
1. When do you want to replace the coffee carafe?
2. Do you want to come to town with me?
3. Are you going to stay in your bathrobe all day?

He read the questions to me and wrote down his interpretation of my answers:
1. Today when you go to town.
2. No.
3. None of your business. (Which is not what I actually said!)

Now that, my friends, is communication. I'm thinking someday we should probably teach a class.

He is now about to return from his shopping trip. Should I surprise him and be dressed when he gets home? Or should I be curled up on the couch, still in my bathrobe, but with my Bible so that at least I look spiritual? He wouldn’t dare make any wisecracks then, right? Decisions, decisions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should be dressed in your "biker" shorts and put some water on your face to make it look like you had been working out the whole time he was gone. Don't forget to pinch your cheeks for that "rosy" look. I like the bible touch though. You should still be holding it in your hand so he realizes how very spiritual you really are. :)

MacNana said...

Thanks for the great idea! I'll use it sometime!

Courtney said...

you crack me up! when i was a stay at home mom and the boys and i had nowhere to go, i would sometimes get dressed right around 4:20 p.m. so that my husband wouldn't think that i'd been in my pajamas all day ;)