Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Won is gone!

My brother Doug and his family have been hosting Asian exchange students for several years. Some have been memorable in ways that wouldn't exactly bring a fond smile to your face. But this year their guest was definitely my all time favorite.  Won was friendly, interested in everything, not afraid to ask questions about the many things he didn't understand about our lifestyle and culture, and just fun to be around. Not long after he arrived,  I crossed paths with him one night as I was leaving Zumba and he was coming to youth group and he said "Hi Aunt LeAnn"! It surprised me and well, it brought joy to my heart!

One Sunday morning in February, we had a skit to promote our upcoming women's retreat. A couple of women walked across the stage talking about what a great time they had last year getting to know women who they see all the time but hadn't talked to before retreat. I wrote the skit, and made sure they said good things about other women, such as Lou Reed ("She always looks so perfect up here on Sundays playing her flute, who would have thought she's so down to earth and friendly...I just love her.") But I allowed them to poke a little fun at me. ("And what about LeAnn, she always looks so serious and kind of boring up here on worship team...it turns out she's kind of funny...she really seems to need friends, bless her heart.") Later that afternoon, Anisa told me Won said he thought it was not very nice of those women to say mean things about Aunt LeAnn in church. He said, "I don't think she's boring, I think she's fun and funny!" Now you see why I love this kid!

He left bright and early Monday morning to go home for the summer. We went to a going away party for him Sunday night, and he consented to get his picture taken with us. He likes to make silly faces for the camera.
 But we also got a sort of sincere smile too!
I hope he has a great summer - apparently much of it will be spent studying for SATs. He will be back for another year at Santiam Christian next year, but will stay with another family since Doug and Anisa no longer will have a high schooler!

Speaking of which, we attended my wonderful nephew Duane's graduation high school a week ago Saturday night. He then left for a mission trip to Uganda early Sunday morning. Duane is blessed with so much charm and personality and has a great work ethic and heart for God. Aunt LeAnn is so blessed by this great kid!


No comments: