Monday, December 19, 2005

People Magazine Tribute

Today there were no teachers or students where I work, just one secretary and a few custodians. "Winter Break", you know. When I sorted the mail, I noticed the library had received the "Best and Worst of 2005" edition of People magazine. So when it was time for lunch, there was no lunch available, but I got myself a cup of tea and sat at my desk to peruse the People magazine. It soon became apparent that I am still not a part of the "in" crowd, something I first realized about fourth grade and has constantly been confirmed ever since. Now that I'm the ripe old age that I am, it doesn't bother me anymore! I learned that I've heard none of the year's top selling CDs, read one of the Top 10 Bestselling books, watched two of the top 10 movies, and watched none of the 10 most watched TV shows. The magazine was full of movie stars I've never heard of and and I'm just not that interested in the ones I am familiar with.

So I was feeling pretty out of touch with today's culture when I got to the end of the magazine to the Tributes section. At the very end of it, I turned the page and there was the headline "Fallen Heroes". Suddenly it became intensely personal. There were pictures and short stories about three of them, and a list of the 903 men and women who gave their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan this past year, in chronological order. When saw the name "Tyler J. Troyer" near the top of the last column, I was really glad I was alone in that office. Through my tears, I looked over that long list of names. It is unbelieveable to me that there are 50 names after Tyler, 50 soldiers who have died in Iraq in the past month.

I don't want Tyler's name to be in People magazine. I don't want any of those 903 soldiers names to be on that list. I want an end to pain and death and war and suffering. How's that for a Christmas wish. Some day it will happen, but while we still live on this earth we just have to keep praying, crying out to God daily for help, comfort, strength, peace and everything else we need. He is the only true and lasting Giver of all those things.

I stopped at the store to get some magazines on my way home to give to both sets of Tyler's parents. As I was walking through the store, I saw some teenage boys I know but I just kept walking hoping they wouldn't notice me because I cried most of the way to the store and didn't really feel like talking to anyone. But sure enough they spot me and yell, "Hi, Mrs. McAnulty." So I talked with them a bit and I walked away realizing how wrong it was for me to try to isolate myself because I was feeling pain. These kids need to be encouraged and cared for every chance I have to do so.

When I got home, I went next door and took a magazine and a prayer shawl that someone had made and left for Terri at our church. Today is the one month anniversary of his death, and it was good to share some time with his family. I still don't want Tyler's name to be in that magazine.

No comments: