Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Prayer Wars

I observed an interesting example of brotherly love last night. John and Betsy came for dinner, and Will requested John to ask the blessing on our meal. John and Betsy obviously are in the habit of joining hands during that particular prayer (unlike our family). When they reached out, we all obligingly joined our hands. Nick even grabbed Eric's hand as it was on the table. I saw the glare Eric shot his way just before the prayer began, so just this once, I kept my eyes open and observed them. During the entire prayer, their hands and fingers were busy squeezing and pinching, obviously intent on seeing who could inflict the most pain on the other person. But I was very happy to see that at least their heads were bowed and their eyes were closed.

1 comment:

SAHM said...

I'll tell you a secret: Jody, Mel and I still do that. (Try to inflict pain and not yell during prayer at mom & dad's house.) Childish, I know but necessary or your knuckles will be ground together. Some habits never die.:)