Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Favorite Summer Food

I love veggies. My new raised beds are abundant with zucchini and yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers. I'm still waiting on my peppers. My favorite ways to use these veggies are as follows. I can eat this for lunch and dinner and be so happy!

I chop red, yellow and orange peppers, zucchini and yellow squash, broccoli and red onions (and whatever else I might have). Pour a small dollop of olive oil and some minced garlic in a nonstick skillet. When the oil is hot, throw in the veggies. Stir fry or put a lid on it and steam them. When they are cooked, stir in some spaghetti or marinara sauce. Put in a plate and sprinkle with feta cheese. If I feel a need for meat, some sliced chicken breast is a delicious addition. The flavorful blend of taste and texture, plus the knowledge that this tasty treasure is so good for you makes every bite sheer joy!
I chop some extra veggies and put them in a container or ziploc bag for dinner. At dinnertime, I get out my box of mixed baby greens from Fred Meyer (they last longer than Costcos). I add cucumbers, the rest of the chopped veggies and cherry tomatoes. Then I sprinkle with my very favorite toppings, Craisens and feta cheese. The last thing is whatever dressing sounds good - my favorite right now is light raspberry vinaigrette. This can also be topped with chicken. Then with some freshly picked blueberries and strawberries from my backyard and a glass of my homemade raspberry iced tea, the delightful dinner is complete!
This could also be known as my "Will is gone camping, Nick and Eric are working, and I don't have to make dinner so I can eat whatever I want diet". It would be an excellent weight loss plan, if only corn on the cob weren't also in season and we didn't have leftover zucchini coconut cake with cream cheese icing and oreo cookie ice cream dessert also laying around the house!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was begining to feel guilty about not fixing such wonderful sounding and looking meals until I got to the end and realized you are human as well!!!
Love ya, Carol

paula54 said...

Looks delicious! I hear all of you will be together for Uncle Stans 80th. Have a great time!
Your cousin,
Paula Pickerill

MacNana said...

How fun to hear from you Paula! We are so happy that some aunts and an uncle will be joining us...it would be good to have a few cousins too!
LeAnn

ITF said...

That appears to me to be a little bit of vegetable overload, but I could sure go for some of the iced tea!

MacNana said...

I plan to make some of the yummy raspberry iced tea at the big birthday bash for Dad! Looking forward to seeing you and the lovely family there!