Saturday, March 08, 2008

I'm Back!! But Will's not

Did anyone miss me? I haven't been gone or anything, it's just been awhile since I've been inspired to write anything here. I've been inspired to do many other things of course. It's not like I'm just sitting around doing nothing. Honest.

Will has to leave tomorrow for another trip to Idaho. His wonderful Aunt Hazel passed away last week, so sadly it's his turn to go to a funeral. Aunt Hazel always insisted we park our RV at her beautiful place when we visited Idaho, and she and her daughter always gave us fabulous meals and great hospitality. Will has very fond memories of his teen summers spent working on their ranch, eating Aunt Hazel's outstanding meals. Here's Will, Eric and Nick at our last family visit in 2006.
Their place on the Snake River has a gorgeous view and amazing wildlife viewing. On our trip in 2000 Eric was about fifth grade and loved raccoons, she set up their spotting scope on her picnic table, found the raccoon family on the island and made sure Eric got a good look at them.

So this reminded me of my own aunt and uncle I recently lost, and tonight I got out my digital recorder and got started transcribing some stories Aunt Jeannine told during our visit in 2006. She told me many things I hadn't know about my mother. I was so touched by the end of our recorded conversation about her. I'm going to share a little of it.

Jeannine said, "The Lord gives you strength just a day at a time, a step at a time. Your mother told me, "I asked the Lord to give me life just a little bit longer for Dougie until he goes to school" and then when he went to school she said "I told Him just however long yet that you will let me stay here with him because oh, she thought of Dougie, because he was her youngest." ("Dougie" was only three when Mom was diagnosed with cancer, and eight when she died.)

One day at a time. One step at a time. That's all we ever have to do. Some days are so much harder than the others, but I am so grateful that the Lord indeed gives the strength we need even during uncertain, difficult days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, LeAnn, I missed not hearing from you as I always check to see what inspiring new things you have to share. So it's good to hear from you again. I just put the twins down for naps. Steve flew up here yesterday with Stanley and Katelyn and they are all at the airport seeing them off now, but the twins needed their naps, so I am home. Betsy