Saturday, February 23, 2008

What's On My Mind: RVs, Low-Fat, High Fiber (Will is Such a Lucky Man!)

Another week has flown by. I was chatting with my former assistant principal yesterday, telling him a little about the past week and how tempted I am to tell some stories on my blog that unfortunately would violate the confidentiality rules I am bound by. Perhaps some day far in the future after I will retire I will write a book incorporating some of these stories and embellishing them slightly, so I can put the disclaimer at the front of the book saying any resemblance to any event or person living or dead is pure coincidence. Human nature is so fascinating and life can be such a comedy of errors. I have also noticed a couple of times recently that working in a school office sometimes resembles the job I held in my early twenties in a police dispatch center, as staff members go on foot pursuit of a runaway child and other various suspicious activities occur. But really, the vast majority of our student population is quite law abiding!

Add to that the soap opera of staff relationships and interactions and life is full of drama. I woke up yesterday morning and turned off my alarm, thinking it was Saturday. I previewed the joys of the relaxing day I anticipated, going off with my husband to look at 5th wheels, and went back to sleep. Nearly an hour later I woke up to Will's alarm and realized it was Friday. I was so annoyed, I just couldn't get up for a few minutes. Will was asking why I was still in bed and I groaned, "I have to frame my mind right." "What are you going to frame it around?!" he asked. Of course I meant I had to get back into the right frame of mind for a Friday before I could even get out of bed, and it was difficult after having my mind set for Saturday. I have received a few cracks from Will since then about my mind being framed, but oh well!

We did have an enjoyable time RV shopping today, but fortunately we did not find any 5th wheel that we couldn't live without. We always plan and anticipate this type of purchase for a long time. Not one salesman looked at Will and exclaimed, "Wow, you're a big one" as one did last year. We did have one who we feared we would have to either pry his hand off the pickup door or drag him out of the parking lot with us, but he finally let go!

When we got home, Will got to sit at the table and eat fresh veggies -carrots, green peppers, and broccoli, while I broiled some turkey burgers (from Costco) to serve with melted fat-free cheese slices on whole wheat bread. I counted it quite successful because although Nick was whining before dinner about needing real meat, he liked the turkey burgers. Will might have liked his better if I hadn't slightly overcooked it, but he would never complain. It's such a virtuous feeling to eat a healthy meal! I put lots of lettuce, some onions, green peppers and light ranch dressing with mine and it was delicious! A turkey burger has 5 grams of fat versus the 22 grams in Costco's lowest fat sirloin burger. Our arteries are thanking us right now! It's time for me to stop!!

The big red stuffed dog and balloons that were delivered for a student on Valentine's Day are still in our office. I personally showed it to the child on Wednesday when he finally returned to school, but he has never come back to pick it up! Perhaps I need to threaten him that I will put it on the Lost and Found table....

No comments: