Thursday, October 22, 2009

Conferences

Once again my hopes to get lots done were dashed by people and mess ups. (Not mine, other people's!) But it was a good day. Started out with a teacher calling to tell me she'd be late. If you are easily grossed out, skip to the next paragraph. She was upset, voice quivering, reporting that on her way out the door she noticed that her dog, a standard poodle, had a bloody butt so she loaded him up and was going to stop at the vet on the way in. She called later to report that she was on her way. He had been diagnosed with a ruptured anal gland and would be fine. Later she came by to tell me he hadn't been feeling well and started to tell me some symptoms he'd been having the past week, but after seeing the look on my face said, "Well, you probably don't want to hear this, do you?" Just like you didn't want to read this. How sensitive we both are!

I remained perky and cheerful with all the people who called saying they just heard about conferences, needing to know what time they started and wondering why we don't let them know about them. It's on the calendar we handed out at registration, in the newsletter we mailed out a few weeks ago, on our web page, on our readerboard, on the flyer we sent home yesterday, and we've been announcing it to kids for the past week. Perhaps I need to make a personal call to the home of each of our 690 students before the next event. I'll mark my calendar.

Funny yet sad was the grandparent who came in worried about his granddaughter who he thinks is running with a rough crowd this year. She herself is the biggest bully our school has ever seen!

But the joy of my new discovery of Corn Candy Hershey's Kisses made the day very special. I shared them with staff and parents and kids who came through. Most people got nearly as excited about them as I was. The Federal Express deliveryman tried to steal the whole bowl! They smelled great sitting on my desk and they are beautiful to behold!

My boss ordered us to close the office tomorrow so we are going camping! If Will is really nice I might buy him some Corn Candy Kisses to take along!

No comments: