Monday, March 15, 2010

Family Times

I absolutely love being part of a big family. My Canadian brother John and his wife Betsy were passing through this weekend, and we got together at my parent's house yesterday afternoon. We had to take the obligatory group picture. I guess we do this to document how well we are all aging. We rarely include our spouses in our group pictures, probably because they aren't quite as good looking as we are.

This picture really sums up my role this family. Ever since my beautiful, sweet little sister Jean was born when I was an awkward, frizzy-haired 17-year-old struggling with my self esteem, dear little Jean has been the center of attention in our family. I have dealt with it very gracefully, with nary a bit of jealousy or sibling rivalry. I'm sure she wants to be just like me when she grows up. She already imitates my loud, annoying laugh.

I feel quite pleased that I accomplished my goal of not looking too fat in this photo. I don't know why my dear brother Doug looks so alarmed.

I wanted to get a picture of my boys with their grandpa, but it was somewhat awkward trying to arrange them around his chair. When I look at this picture, I want to say, "I feel the same way, Dad. What are we going to do with these crazy boys!"

I truly love and value everyone in my family, and though they may mock me and tease me, I feel assured that they return my esteem.

No comments: