Monday, May 27, 2013

Hope Update: 4 months


For those of you who aren't Facebook friends with Hope, I'm sharing some of her recent posts and pictures so you can hear in her own words how she is doing. Thank you so much to all of you who are still praying and asking about her. It means a lot

She was very thankful that she and Brian were able to visit her daughter Adrienne and her new little one in Ontario a few weeks ago. See how good she looks!


Here's her posts, and I'll put some pics at the end:

May 18:  "I've been doing a lot of thinking today.. actually it's about all I've done. Saturdays have always been such busy days.. cleaning, baking, catch up on laundry or whatever, but not today, not me. I've been on fb and emailing.... and thinking. I came across a quote by my cousin, Janna Pastin, (who I haven't seen for 40+ years).
"When you deliver a praise, your praise will deliver you."
I have found this to be SO true these last 4 months. Giving thanks and praising God gets me through every time, it's just that sometimes it takes me awhile to remember that.
The other thing I read today was the May 17th Holy Experience blog post by Ann Voskamp, writing to her son as he turns 18 and graduates..
"Look... you get what we all get - a life time. Just you or none of us ever get to know how long that will turn out to be."
"Don't waste a minute of your life on anything less than love. Don't waste a minute of your life on anything less than eternity."
"Think of eternity and live backwards from that."
Adrienne and I were talking about this idea last week. Those little quotes like "Everyday moments make the best memories." always used to seem so trite, but with one slip on the step, life changed completely. I'm trying to treasure the moments, the days, they go by so quickly and there is no promise that my "lifetime" will the "threescore years and ten."
"We have this moment to hold in our hand
And to touch as it slips through our fingers like sand.
Yesterday's gone, and tomorrow may never come.
But we have this moment... today."
"Praise ye the Lord, for it is good to sing praises unto our God..." "



May 23:  "Yes, I am doing better... but I'm not Better.
It's a long road, this recovery thing.
I am walking better, but still can't run.
I can do all my own personal care except comb my hair.
I'm having more muscle pain in my upper back since I'm not wearing the Aspen collar.
My hands are still numb/tingly and nasty feeling.
My fingers can work the keyboard now, after a fashion.
I don't drive a car yet, but can buckle my own seat belt most of time. I usually don't go very far from home because my back complains.
The triceps are coming back very slowly. I don't cook or bake -- I can't open packages or cans, chop onions or lettuce., shape bread or scoop cookies. I did actually slice bread yesterday! I can't really wash dishes, but I can load the dishwasher. It takes triceps to wash counters and clean toilets... I can sweep the floor, and I actually managed to vacuum the other day. I can do laundry, the children usually transfer from washer to dryer, but I can fold clothes... if my back isn't hurting too bad.
It's so true what the therapist told me before I left the rehab center, People will think you're doing better when they see you out and walking around, but you're not, you still have a long way to go.
It's been four months now since the accident. I don't know how long this recovery road is, but my Father does. It's hard, this giving thanks in everything. I am trying to rest in His plan, I know He holds tomorrow and I know He holds me hand.
.. His strength is made perfect in weakness, and His grace is sufficient for me."



May 27:  "We were discussing "Life" in Sunday School yesterday when I was prompted to share something, and as I emailed my family about it today, I knew I had to share it with all of you, too.
I was 11 years old when my mom died of cancer. I thought it was terribly unfair that I didn't have a mom like my friends did. It seems I've heard that her prayer was that she would live long enough to see her first grandchild, and God granted her request. I don't remember how old I was when I started praying that I would live long enough to see all of children grow up and to enjoy years of being a grandma.
I've been told by different medical staff what a miracle it is that I survived the fall of about 18 feet that broke my neck and caused spinal cord injury, and not only that I survived, but that I am walking and still making progress. While I was at the Rehab Center, maybe three weeks after the accident, I got a letter from our daughter, Jenna -- one of the many letters/notes that she sent.
"Mom, I thought of you as I read through the first part of Psalm 21 - Here is a paraphrase of thoughts.....'Your daughter is rejoicing in your strength... You have given her her hearts desire ... She asked life of you and you gave it to her - even length of days....' "
It just made me cry, and still does -- He gave me Life! .. and I'm holding onto the length of days promise!! :)
"For she trusts in You, Lord, through the unfailing love of You, Most High, she will not be shaken." "

So, Hope is definitely OK! It breaks my heart that she still experiences so much pain, and I pray for complete healing.  I love my Tuesday evenings with her and her family, and am having a great time watching those athletic sons of hers play baseball. But they're also pretty good in the kitchen! Here's Justin baking some cookies to share with his team.
And Brandon making some cherry cobbler for his family!
Hope's delightful children make every visit to her home a joy!

No comments: