Monday, May 06, 2013

The Great Snail Hunters

Last week as I planted my flower pots, I recalled my dismay last year when snails voraciously ate my beautiful plants with a few days of their planting. I kept an anxious eye on them, removing the snails I saw along the way.  Last summer's active combat with snails was described in this post, Snail War Saga.

So, imagine my delight yesterday when my nephew Cody asked if he could hunt snails again! (Obviously it was a treasured memory of time with Aunt LeAnn!) My great-nephew Brenden eagerly joined this quest. They started in the strawberries, where the hunting was excellent!
Then they moved to the shrubs in front of the house.
"Here's a nice big one!" They each had over a dozen by then, which I thought was amazing!
This was some very active snail seeking! I just love these boys!
Check it out - the cups are labeled "Cody's Snail Jail" and "Brenden's Snail Jail".  Brenden came into the house for something and set his half-full "Snail Jail" on my kitchen counter, nearly giving me a heart attack. He actually seemed to enjoy the knowledge that it brought me discomfort, and was in no great hurry to remove it. Hard to believe that sweet Jody's little boy might have an mischievous streak!
Serena was pleased when her request to hold the cup was granted!

After cake was served, I saw Cody with his plate of cake on the grass while he was looking under a shrub and I remarked that it was ok if he took a break to eat cake. He remarked, "Oh, I'm taking a break," picked up the plate, took a bite, set it back in the grass and continued lifting branches! Unfortunately that picture didn't turn out!

These pots in the back were really ravaged last year. Those snails cling to the grass spikes and inside the lip of the containers.
Jenna had to check it out too.
Brenden was a bit horrified when a large snail tried to escape by climbing up the wall of its jail. Time to dump it in Uncle Will's Snail Rehab!
Then back for more!
Ok, it looks like we're done here!
They dump their bounty.
Cody had more than Brenden, so he helped him find some more over by the dog kennel.
They ended up with more than 100 snails! Some were just the empty shells, but a huge battle was won yesterday in the snail wars, and  many flowers were saved to thrive and multiply and brighten my yard the whole summer long!

Cody and Brenden are now my very favorite nephews, I have to admit. I suspect that within a few days, they will receive a nice surprise in the mail that expresses Aunt LeAnn's appreciation for their help in this great battle she fights, as she strives to protect the lives and the beauty of the flowers she loves and cares for so diligently.

Thank you, Cody and Brenden! Your cheerful hard work hunting these critters brought great joy to me!

No comments: