Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Maui: Tuesday and Wednesday Dec. 16-17

We woke up to rain Tuesday morning. Strangely, nearly everyone slept in! I started out with JD and Galen who were walking, but we parted ways. I headed up the beach going north instead of south as we've been doing. Gray skies don't make for lovely pictures, but I enjoyed a wonderful run and the views anyway.
Heading down to the beach.
I caught up to Galen and JD again as they were entering our neighborhood.
After breakfast we headed out to get outfitted with snorkel gear. It took Will a bit longer than everyone else since there aren't a lot of flippers big enough for him. Then he realized the mustache had to go. Steve's car went on to Maluaka Beach without us while Will crossed the street to Walgreens to buy a razor and get it shaved off. Stanley and JD were so patient about waiting with us old folks. I enjoyed shopping, finding a wonderful beach hat for myself and a beautiful book for Baby Kam. It's a good thing it didn't take him any longer.

Who is this man? I haven't seen that clean shaven face since Nick was very small. Approximately 22 years ago. The snorkel gear in hand, we headed to the beach.

This vacation is a success. On our previous trip here, his health issue prevented the enjoyment of beach activities, so this is a big deal! There he goes!
He had a great time.
Maui Vacation Rule #4: When you have sacrificed time, money and your mustache in order to get snorkel gear, you must snorkel as often as possible.
Will, Steve, JD, Katie, Carol and Galen enjoying the water.
Stanley fashioned an amazing octopus sand sculpture, and JD busied himself digging til he reached water.
He was rather disappointed to find the hole filled in after he went to play in the water.
This boy loves the water! It's pure entertainment just watching him.

On our way back, we stopped at Peggy Sue's in Kihei for ice cream/milkshakes and some great tunes.
Maui Vacation Rule #5:  Eat ice cream as often as possible.

I enjoyed visiting with JD in the backseat and learned a lot. For example, "Victory in Jesus" used to be one of his least favorite songs because it was so slow and mournful. (Two days in a row he has used that word. I never use that word. But I love the way he uses it!) So what was your favorite song? "Excuses". He sang it for me.

Excuses, excuses, you'll hear them every day.
And the Devil he'll supply them, if the church you stay away.
When people come to know the Lord, the Devil always loses
So to keep them folks away from church, he offers them excuses.

In the summer it's too hot. And, in the winter, it's too cold.
In the spring time when the weather's just right, you find some place else to go.
Well, it's up to the mountains or down to the beach or to visit some old friend.
Or, to just stay home and kinda relax and hope that some of the kin folks will start dropping in.

Well, the church benches are too hard. And, that choir sings way too loud.
Boy, you know how nervous you get when you're sitting in a great big crowd.
The doctor told you, "Now, you better watch them crowds. They'll set you back."
But, you go to that old ball game because you say "it helps you to relax."

Well, a headache Sunday morning and a backache Sunday night.
But by worktime Monday morning, you're feeling quite alright.
While one of the children has a cold, "Pneumonia, do you suppose?"
Why the whole family had to stay home, just to blow that poor kid's nose.

(….and it goes on for awhile….)

Later that evening I saw Stanley taking some pictures. 
 He was kind enough to share the resulting photo.
Gorgeous!
Another sunset from the lanai.
Wednesday morning, Katelyn joined me for a run, and Steve caught up with us when we reached the beach. (He took a shortcut.) It was quite a relief for me, because then this prideful old aunt no longer felt she needed to try to keep up with Katelyn. I allowed them to sprint merrily ahead of me. Maui Vacation Rule #5: Great-aunts should not feel any obligation to try to keep up with the fleet-footed young folk.
There they go!
What a gorgeous day!
Check out the Christmas tree!
These fine young folks waited for me!
 Oh, what a lovely sight! My husband is learning to sleep a little later these days, just starting off while I am nearly back and the sun is peeking over the mountain.
 Galen has been changing his beard daily. Great hilarity ensued at breakfast when he attempted to take a selfie before the last version of the beard came off. His wife was not a fan of this look. He is now clean shaven. His selfies were too frightening to show to the general public on this blog.
 Ah, after breakfast we headed to a nearby beach, Black Rock I believe.
I got to wear my new hat. It has little seashells on it. So fun!
 Yay, Will spent over an hour in the ocean before coming ashore again.
He saw two turtles as well as fish.  I haven't seen the GoPro video yet because I'm hogging the laptop tonight.

Steve reserved a great table at Bubba Gumps for dinner tonight.

We had a great time. 
We enjoyed the nightlife in Lahaina for awhile, walking the streets and getting in the mood for some shopping. We found a gelato place but all the ladies were too full from dinner. I wasn't. Maui Vacation Rule #7: Enjoy dessert.

I was approached by a salesman hawking skincare products, "You are the perfect person to try our wonderful product!" Carol and Rachelle laughed and kept walking. I took his free sample and next thing I knew he had me put my hand out and he dumped some grainy white powder on it. Then he said, "Now you inhale deeply and get high." Perhaps I looked shocked and like I was about to fling it in his face. He quickly said, "Ha, ha, just kidding. Actually now you rub your hands together blah blah blah.." Well, it was time for me to go and catch up with my friends. I did rub the stuff on my hands.  I was glad i had the wipe from Bubba Gumps in my bag because it was hard getting all that grainy stuff off.  It smelled nice and my hands are so soft and look 10 years younger now. Vacation Rule #8: Be very careful when shopping at night time in Lahaina.

After we returned home, JD asked if we could turn on the palm tree and pool lights. Pretty cool.
 JD borrowed my phone to do some photography. He loves to do photography. He loves to doing things in general.
JD is currently quizzing Will about his police career. The stories are being told.

And good night!

No comments: