Monday, April 27, 2015

Baby Shower for Zaiden

During the great three sisters' road trip, a new 10 pound grandson was born to my sister Hope, and a great-nephew to Jean and I. On the way home, we discussed throwing a family baby baby shower. Though this was Hope's 9th grandchild (oh please I hope I didn't do the math wrong or forget somebody), it was the first one born in the state of Oregon! Thus the first baby shower opportunity.  Since it was her first boy after two daughters, obviously he would need some stuff!

We had a girls lunch at my house a few weeks ago and used the occasion to do some planning. I meant to post some pics of that earlier, but never got to it, so here's a few. It was sorta rainy, but when the children finally got permission to go outside, they ran straight to the back corner and crowded together on the glider. 
Chavon points out that Janae cut across the raised bed and got muddy!
"Let's all crowd together so that no one can fall out," says motherly Serena. Then it started pouring and I hastened back inside!
Kam got to meet his new cousin Zaiden.
So last Saturday, it was a great privilege, along with Jean and our sister-in-law Carol, to host a shower for her  and Zaiden Pierre (which means steadfast, passionate warrior) and who was a whopping 10 pounds when he was born. We held it at Brianna's lovely home, which is only about 6 miles from mine. (Fortunately, since I left the cheesecake on my kitchen counter after I checked my list and had to come back for it.)  Her in-laws were visiting from Virginia, and it was such a joy to meet and visit with her delightful mother-in-law, Emily. 
Hope, Brianna, Karisse (and one of the very few "non-family" invitees, Lisa Goracke, who's children Brianna babysat for many years)
Brianna's cousin Teresa and girls
I failed to get a decent picture of people on the other end of the room. Sorry if you're looking for yourself and got left out of all the photos!
Brianna with her children and their two grandmas.
The shower team: me, Carol, Jean and her daughter Serena with Brianna and her girls
Jean made some incredible oreo cookie cheesecake! I brought some delicious Costco strawberry cheesecake! Carol brought a beautiful fruit tray.
The little girls found a good place to sit and eat.
Brianna had lots of help opening gifts.


Dove Chocolate - loved by women young and old. A lot messier when you're young.
So many cute things!
Brianna's girls with grandma and great-grandma.
Cousin Becky came down from Salem. (Or is it Keizer?) Always such a joy to be with her!
It was very relaxed - we had time to hang out and visit and hold a sweet baby.
...and eat chocolate cupcakes…which Jean also made...
Not only did Jean make amazing desserts, but after I thought we were done cleaning up and sat down to visit again, she swept and vacuumed the entire house. Ok, maybe not the entire house but a great deal of it.  And of course, when I finally realized what that annoying noise was that was making it so hard to hear each other talking, I wrestled the vacuum out of her hands and chased her away. Well, I admit I only finished the last few feet of the living room just so I could say I helped. Kinda like I helped pump gas on our road trip. That Jean, she is a worker. It is tough being an older sister to someone who is so much better than me. But wait, this isn't about me.

We love having Brianna and her growing family a part of the Oregon family!
Serena with Zaiden, the guest of honor, who is wearing a shirt that says "Cool like Daddy".

No comments: