Friday, April 03, 2015

The Three Sisters' First Road Trip

The dismal looking skies last Wednesday morning did nothing to dampen our spirits when my sisters, Hope and Jean, picked me up to  embark on our very first out-of-state sisters' road trip. My ever-thoughtful husband was careful to take a picture of the license plate of the vehicle before we departed. (I'm not sure why. Maybe it had something to do with me saying we might spend the night in Tacoma when what I meant was Spokane. They're quite similar words, anyone could mix them up.)

 He stood on the front porch waiting for us to leave…and waiting. Hope accidentally turned the wipers on and couldn't figure out how to turn them off. (It was her daughter's minivan.) As Will headed toward us to see if we needed help, Hope finally took off with the wipers on, saying, "Oh well, I'm sure it will rain soon anyway." So Jean and I were having a good giggle before we even left our house, although Hope didn't see what was so funny. She managed to capably  turn the wipers off at the stop sign down the block. 
 (I must humbly point out that there was a similar picture to the above one where I had a exceptionally glowing smile on my face, but Jean wasn't smiling. I confess I pondered a few seconds before I was able to  choose to exercise the Golden Rule. As the older sister, I constantly strive to be a good example and am willing to make any sacrifices necessary to build up my sisters.)

We had a very enjoyable drive. No one criticized anyone's driving (though there was a sharp intake of breath now and then) and we shared driving duties with no squabbling about whose turn it was. The worst problem was that the two in front tended to mumble quietly to each other when I was in the back seat and I had to keep politely asking them to speak up so that I could participate. We had an tremendous lunch at Sweet Tomatoes in Portland, followed by a brief scenic tour over the bridge into Washington and back just for fun.  (Jean: "Hey! We're crossing the river! We're not supposed to cross the river! We're in Washington!"  Me: "What?! Huh! How'd that happen? Don't tell anyone. This will be our little secret.") With such great conversations and laughing going on, it was really difficult to hear Siri's voice telling us when to turn sometimes. Other than that, I felt that we were reasonably good about sticking to our route, ending up at the lovely Best Western Hotel in Ritzville, Washington that evening.
 Since we'd had such a hearty lunch, we decided to just eat our snacks in the room for dinner. I went down to get some spoons from the breakfast room. It's possible I may not have returned to the correct end of the hall. I tried desperately to get my key card to work at room 204 but I have trouble with key cards sometimes. Oh well. The bleary-eyed man who finally came to the door didn't seem too terribly upset to see me there. I retreated hastily. I really belonged in room 224 at the other end of the hall. There's a perfectly logical explanation - we had come up on the elevator in the middle of the hall, but I went down the stairs at the end of the hall, headed to the middle of the hall in the first floor to get spoons, then returned up the stairs at the end of the hall. Yes, the other end. It could happen to anyone.

I was trying to take a snapchat video of us eating snacks to send to Hope's daughter Janelle but instead I managed to take a burst of really cute photos. I'm so savvy with that phone.
 I brought enough swimsuits for everyone so that no one could have an excuse to miss out on the hot tub, and that is a story in itself but we won't go into it here. Suffice it to say that we modestly made our way down to the deliciously hot tub, enjoyed a satisfying soak, and found our way directly back to the room. When I was telling the whole story to Hope's daughter Adrienne, my sisters approved my version, saying there was just enough exaggeration to make it funny without making it outright lies. I think that's what they said. That's how I interpreted it anyway. I'll tell you in person if you want to hear it. Maybe.

Oddly enough, I am the earliest riser in our little group. I had time to enjoy a workout in the fitness center and a cup of coffee in the lovely sitting room where a fire burned before the sisters even rolled out of bed. When I returned to the room, they were lying wide awake,  worried that I had gone running and got lost and trying to figure out what they would do if I didn't return. I had left them a note with my location, but you have to get out of bed to read notes.  We eventually got on the road again. The next highlight was lunch at Frosty's in Saint Regis, Montana. It was a newly redecorated 1950s hamburger joint, and I loved the crown moldings and the furnishings. Well the whole place, really.
 I thought I better take a picture or the ceiling so that my husband could zoom in close to see the details and reproduce it for me in our dining room. As long as he promised to be the one who dusts it.
 I include this picture just to share with you a teachable moment. I used this to illustrate to my sisters that you never want to be the one leaning forward, you always want to try to tuck behind the person when you are getting the picture taken, because the person closest to the camera always looks the biggest.  Jean learned well. (Sorry, Hope.)
We had asked the waitress for extra cups so that we could split their famous huckleberry shake, and she kindly brought it already divided into three cups for us. Oh my, was it ever amazingly delicious.

Looking at that picture reminds me there were two things that I wanted to do on this trip that didn't happen. #1:  I wanted to wear my hair in a poof like Jean's (with all due respect, seriously, Jean). and #2: I wanted to take a picture of all three of us wearing our thick ugly old glasses at night just before bedtime. On the bucket list for the next trip. (Oh yes, my bucket list is special like that.)

Soon after we hit the road again we had to stop for many bighorn sheep crossing the road and hanging out nearby. At least 20 and maybe 30. 
We arrived at our destination, Big Fork Bible Camp, around 5 p.m. Thursday. Hope's daughter Adrienne and her 7-month-old, Hudson, arrived shortly thereafter. She traveled down with her church group from Fort St. John, BC.  Grandma Hope was just a little thrilled.
 Such an adorable little guy, quick to smile and easily entertained.

What an absolutely gorgeous place. Oh, I forgot to mention the reason we went on this road trip. Hope was on her very first ever women's retreat speaking engagement. The four of us, well, five including Hudson, shared our own little cabin. Which I failed to take a picture of.

This was the view from the dining room. We tried to get a picture of us on the deck behind the dining room but the phone camera did not have the skills to get a good picture of both the background and our lovely faces. So I am sharing a not so good one. I'm not sure why. We just felt so fortunate to be there in the sunshine in that beautiful location.

Adrienne and the darling Hudson
In the afternoon, I was able to get in a walk/run along the lakeside trail.
 I kinda felt like I had died and gone to heaven.
 So incredibly beautiful.
 This is Peterson Lake in Montana.
 There was still a little snow here and there around the camp.
 I thought Adrienne and Hudson would make the picture of the snow more interesting. I was right.
 Here's our gang on the way to dinner. Jean, Hope, me, Adrienne and Hudson
The dinner view from the dining room.
A fun snapchat of Kam from Christina.
Speaking of babies, a text came very early Saturday morning from Hope's daughter Brianna, who was a week overdue. She was finally in labor! With her mother in Montana, and the rest of the family heading over the mountains to Sisters for a cousin's wedding!

I met this lovely lady named Leanne (from Lethbridge, Alberta where my brother Mark happens to live.) She was the presenter of a great hospitality workshop, and I wanted to go to her house for dinner after I heard her talk! She was in charge of breakfast the next day, and it was amazing!
 It included four different types of mini-cinnamon rolls: cream cheese, orange, maple, and regular. She told me I needed to have one of each. But I was so self-disciplined. I only had the cream cheese, orange and maple. Wow.

Hope and her friend Marita, the retreat coordinator who invited her to come speak.
While at breakfast, Hope got word that Brianna had given birth to a healthy 10 pound baby boy, Zaiden Pierre. Oh joy!

Hope sometimes gets a little annoyed with all the "Hope" trinkets and paraphernalia that collect around her without any effort on her part. So we snickered just a little at the sign on the registration table. But hey, the purple flowers and bird's nest were lovely! (There was also a "Hope" plaque in the foyer of the hotel the night before which I should have photographed!)
The X-ray of her broken neck.
Hope and Wendy

We also enjoyed listening to the other speaker, Wendy Good, who had a powerful message of surrender and submission through her story of being unwillingly divorced and realizing that God was not going to answer her prayers for reconciliation, but instead, God wanted her to find her joy and fulfillment through her relationship with Him.

My sisters wondered how comfortable I felt being in the midst of Mennonite women who looked a little different than me. I was almost surprised. Am I not one of them? It's all so familiar and the women were all so friendly and accepting. I was extremely comfortable. 
One another note, Hope is blessed with some absolutely wonderful daughters. Her oldest and youngest helped her pack, or perhaps they just packed for her. They included notes with the outfits they put together for each day, and I could hardly wait to see what each one said. (Oddly, my boys have never done anything like that for me in their lives!)  I snuck a picture of one of the notes. (Don't be mad at me Janelle! This is just too good!) "We DON'T pick out ANY tacky outfits." I love it. And I worry some about not having any daughters to let me know if I end up wearing a tacky outfit.

Her daughters also instructed her that she must have breath mints on hand at all times. Jean and I made sure we had some available also. Oh, it's so great to have daughters/nieces who give good advice. Although I constantly get excellent advice from my husband, including one often repeated tidbit that I had to tell myself several times during the trip when I found myself getting sidetracked. "Focus on the mission."

Oh look, I got another cute snapchat of my darling grandson.

Let's see, where was I?


Here's Hope speaking at the final session on Saturday morning. She was the picture of serenity as she conversationally shared her story with grace and humor in three different sessions during the weekend; how God has worked in her life since the fall that broke her neck more than two years ago. He has brought healing far beyond what the medical professionals thought she would reach. And more than that, she has learned to recognize the gifts that God gives her each day and to practice thankfulness. She spoke of the many hours and days she sat in her recliner,  where she learned to be still and feel the presence and peace of God. In His presence, the fears and anxieties she felt in years past are gone.

She still has constant nerve pain in her hands and lacks fine motor skills there. She prays for complete healing, but this weekend she accepted that though healing may not happen, God is sufficient. Her hope is found in God. She closed with this:

I was lost, but am found again, Jesus,
And I know what I want
To see deeply,
To thank deeply
To feel joy deeply (Ann Voskamp)
(and to love deeply)

One thing I ask of The Lord
This only do I seek.
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life
To gaze on the beauty of The Lord 
And to seek him in his temple 
Just to bask in His presence all the days of my life!

Once again, I will leave you with the challenge to say
With open hands
Whatever He gives, I will take
Whatever He takes, I will give
Blessed be the name of The Lord
Glory, honor and majesty 
Give the glory due to His name. 

To God be the glory.
We left the camp around noon Saturday. We were less than an hour's drive away from Hope's brother-in-law Dennis and his wife Becky, and they had invited us for lunch. So after saying our goodbyes, we headed to their place, enjoying the beautiful mountain views as we visited them and their daughter Sarah and ate more delicious food.

Another social engagement awaited us. A friend of Hope's from high school days (Kathryn Ballard Pinkerton)  invited us to stay at her home near Coeur d'Alene overnight. She and Hope had recently reconnected but hadn't seen each other for over 20 years. Jean and I thought we might be bored and had a backup plan to go find a shopping mall. We stopped at a little store for a drink along the way and realized we had all forgotten about a hostess gift. Hope picked up a can of Cashew Roca, and we figured we'd find something else at our mall trip later.

As we followed the directions and went up the long driveway to the top of the hill, we gaped in wonder at the gorgeous house at the top of the hill.
Kathryn and her husband came out and welcomed us warmly and showed us to our suite. Our suitcases were carried up by her husband and boys.

We were given the Peace Room. We gazed around in awe at the turret sitting room, with windows on so many walls. 
 The bed turned out to be as comfortable as it was beautiful.
 As we freshened up before dinner, we heard over the intercom, "Josiah, please come and fill the water glasses." This lovely family had nine children, with the youngest age 10. The older two were gone for the evening and another one away in college, so we didn't meet them, but the other children were friendly and respectful. We enjoyed them so much. Dinner had been cooked by some of them and was cleaned up by others. They chose to serve it in the formal dining room instead of the breakfast room.
Dinner was delicious and the conversation was anything but boring.
After dinner, we went to the parlor for tea. Hope showed them some picture books of her family, and their sixteen-year-old demonstrated to us how he does beautiful glass etchings (he later showed us his sandblasting machine) and we saw a slideshow of some incredible nature photography from all over the world, taken by their 18-year-old son. We were given  a tour of the three story house, which has 10 bathrooms and two guest suites. They love the book "Pilgrim's Progress" and every room in the house had a name from the book. Our's was the Peace Room. The laundry room was named Diligence. The other guest room was named Hospitality. I wish I could remember all the other names.
Eventually it was bedtime, but first we had get comfortable and catch up with families.
We certainly hadn't given any thought to going to a shopping mall after we arrived. We recalled that we should have gotten a hostess gift, and broke into hysterical laughter at the thought of presenting a little can of Cashew Roca to express our appreciation for their incredible hospitality. Hope had picked up a couple of extra copies of the Scripture song CDs that the other speaker, Wendy, had given away, but she wasn't sure she wanted to give them up, because then which of her daughters wouldn't get them? She ended up giving a set of 3 CDs to Kathryn, but good grief, she had to go and tell her they were free!
Who would leave their tacky Walmart purse on that elegant dresser?
Before we went to bed, I had asked for a recommendation of a running route from the house in the morning. Their 16-year-old offered to run with me down to the marina on Lake Coeur D'Alene downhill 3 miles away, and arranged that the older brother would pick us up there!
A few of their Alpacas in the morning. We also saw a couple of elk and some deer.
Awesome reflections in the morning stillness.
Not exactly boating season.
Back at the house, the 12-year-old son made pancakes and put them on plates in the warming drawers while we visited. I failed to take pictures of their brightly lit turret breakfast room with its table that seats 12 and windows all around. Just beautiful, and a wonderful breakfast together after they called everyone to breakfast over the intercom.
Hope and Kathryn
Part of the family
One of the lions at the gate.
And off we go again. The drive home may or may not have included a thing or two that we don't need to tell anyone about. Let's just say that if you get off the main route, you might was well quickly tell your husband all about it if you're on his Find Friends app and he just happens to check up on you. Fortunately, none of we sisters has a deceitful bone in our body, so we can't hide anything for long. In fact, a certain sister always seemed to be telling her husband about things that I tried to declare our little secrets. But sisters who don't get mad at you when you end up on a scenic route that adds just a little bit of extra time to your journey home are pretty special. Priceless, in fact, as they point out the beautiful scenery, the yellow and blue flowers blooming and make a nice comment about redeeming the error by enjoying the wildflowers and the view.

Also, I must commend Jean for the way she always hopped cheerfully out of the van and pumped gas when we stopped. We Oregon girls are pretty spoiled when it comes to that. I was very supportive, standing by her for a few seconds once and maybe laying a hand on the gas pump just to be helpful before I headed to the ladies room. At our last stop, I actually pumped the gas pretty much all by myself for the first time in my life. At least the first time that I remember. If it happened more than a couple years ago it's possible that I forgot. Ok, so let's say for the first time in several years cause it's kinda coming back to me that I did it long ago. Anyway, Jean started washing the windshield, and I found out she had washed it each time we stopped for gas. That girl is just amazing. So I was feeling kind of bad about shirking my duties while my little sister worked so hard.
Hope also sent me proof of my good deed!
But Hope just sent me a text telling me to be sure to mention on the blog what a great gas pumper I was. She is such an encouragement to me. She also helped me to become more refined like she is, with her gentle and not so gentle remarks about certain people who don't put the lid down on toilets every single time and who once bent over from the waist instead of modestly bending with their knees.

I couldn't ask for better sisters. I hope someday to be as kind, thoughtful, helpful, cheerful, loving, funny, considerate, encouraging and Jesus-like as my sisters are. Thank you, girls, for a GREAT trip! Where shall we go next?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading this was so fun! I love your sense of humor and it was so great to meet you at the ladies' retreat. You sure were one of us!Twila

Dorcas said...

Thanks for your wonderful storytelling. I laughed and laughed. So glad you 3 could do this.