Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Terrible Teens are History!

We are no longer the parents of three teenage boys. It’s hard to believe that it’s been 20 years since we started this joyful as well as painful journey of parenthood, beginning with that unbelievably powerful love for that tiny helpless baby. Craig left his teen years behind as he turned 20 years old yesterday. Earlier in the week I asked if he was coming home for dinner on his birthday. He said he had a hot date but if it fell through he’d be glad to come. I had to inform him that I will not be a back-up plan if I am preparing a birthday dinner! The nerve! So we made a date for Sunday. I invited Uncle Galen and Aunt Carol to join us.

As always, I took his requests and prepared his favorite foods – steak (which he declared delicious even though it was not bloody enough for him), mushrooms, fettucine alfredo, green bean casserole, and I added fresh pineapple, green salad and rolls. He wanted peach-mango cobbler instead of birthday cake. He got peach cobbler. It was a lot of food, and I thought preparations were going very smoothly until I knocked over the alfredo sauce just before adding it to the fettucine. Most of it splattered down the front of the stove and all over the floor. I should have taken a picture of Will and Carol cleaning it up. They did a great job while I improvised by adding a can of cheddar cheese soup to the little alfredo sauce remaining. It was tasty. Cobbler was not conducive to candles, so I produced one candle for each decade. I couldn't decide which picture to use, so I'm sharing both.


Craig is enjoying his job at Albany Music and Sound. He can’t believe he gets paid to unpack wonderful guitars, play them, and set them up! It’s the perfect place for a future rock and roll star to work. I pray that as a 20 year old young man, the coming year will be one of maturing, experiencing the love of God in his life, and seeking after Him. We love you Craig!

Ain't we a happy looking group! Galen, quit whining, you really don't look all that short!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Craig is 20! Tell him that I will keep praying, and believing that he gets an, "arrested on the road to Damascus experience" before he turns 21.

There is a soft spot in my heart for that boy. Maybe it's because I can identify with him. I love you all, but especially Craig. John

Anonymous said...

It was a very wonderful meal indeed. Altho nothing compares to a bear hug from Craig and him saying it is "so good to see you". He really knows how to make you feel special. I'm agree with John, we too are praying for a defining year for Craig and an experience with God like he has never known before. We love you Craig. It was great sharing your birhtday dinner!! Carol
p.s. getting down to clean was easy, it was the getting up that was fun!

Anonymous said...

Oops looks like I can't spell. I meant to say I agree with John. Sorry