Saturday, March 04, 2006

We Hike Again

This morning we headed off to the Fitton Green Natural Area (a Benton County park) for what our computer printout described as "a good hike through a new natural area that includes several elevation changes". I found the car trip there particularly enjoyable, because I was serenely confident in my ability as navigator to arrive with absolutely no screw ups.There would be no exasperated sighs or pitying looks from the driver for my failure to understand and communicate the directions. This was a once in a lifetime destination. How often can you get on a major highway near your home and not have to make even one turn the whole trip? Highway 34 becomes Harrison Blvd which becomes Oak Creek Road which then dead ends at the trail head! It just doesn't get any better than that!

Will and I will celebrate 23 years of marriage in May, and the first few years of our marriage we did many hiking and backpacking trips, most of them in wilderness areas. Our lives have changed a great deal since then. In wilderness areas, we never saw the sight that greeted us near the beginning of the trail - two junked cars that have become fern and moss gardens!

Nick had a friend with him and as I saw them running uphill ahead of us I gasped, "How can they possibly run!" Will informed me that he would be up there running with them if he weren't staying back to keep me company. He is so considerate!

This was a 4.3 round trip that had a major up hill, down hill, up again and down again. Lots of old growth trees, including some gigantic oak trees. There was a nice panoramic view at the top, overlooking Philomath, and it was clear enough to see the Three Sisters and Mt. Jefferson. Someone had apparently found it fitting as a gravesite for something, we presume a beloved pet.

As we were on our last downhill leg of the trip, I commented to Will that one thing hasn't changed - he still enjoys walking uphill and I prefer walking downhill. He said "When you walk uphill, you are accomplishing something. Walking downhill feels like you're cheating something." I spent a few seconds pondering that statement, suspecting it might be profound. I had never thought of it that way before, and I don't think I like what it says about me if I apply it to life. So I will just leave it as an interesting insight into Will's character.

When we reached the parking lot (long after the two boys), we once again brewed our espresso and a hot drink for the boys. I was horrified to discover that our folding camping chairs (which have unfortunately remained on the top cargo container above the Durango since last summer) have all become moldy. I was unable to be seated because I find mold and mildew extremely distasteful.
I am feeling a bit sore already tonight. Nick came home and mowed the yard then collapsed on the couch declaring he was exhausted. Very soon thereafter he miraculously regained his energy when some girls called and wanted to go bowling! I'm about to go see if scrapbooking will revive me!

No comments: