Friday, July 07, 2006

Reunion Trip Day 6

Saturday, July 1

We had found the gravel road (there are so many of them in Nebraska!) that led to the place where the reunion was to be held Friday afternoon after making an unscheduled stop at the Arch Monument. It was very educational and interesting about the westward trail up to today's transportation with big screen video allowing us to experience a buffalo stampede coming at us and witness a Pony Express rider exchange. The Chuckwagon restaurant there was reasonable priced and our boys enjoyed a late lunch of buffalo burgers.

We made sure we were not late for breakfast. Our aunts warned us several times the night before that this place required everyone be there by 8:00 sharp. I was concerned because our boys didn’t show up. We had big dorm-style rooms with bunk beds, and Uncle Doug had invited them to stay in his room. When I checked on them after breakfast, the room was dark and they all groaned when I turned on the lights. What would they do without mom/big sister to wake them up? (Anisa wasn’t there to take care of Doug so I had to help out.)

The day passed quickly with so many wonderful people to talk to. The kids enjoyed the lake with nifty toys like a water trampoline and an inflated floating climbing wall. We had the zip line from 2:00-4:00 p.m. There were two lines, and Nick and Venisa went at the same time. Apparently it was quite thrilling. I was happy to just watch. Somehow Nick talked his Aunt Carol into going with him the second time. Nick enjoyed it much more than Carol, but she wasn’t the only one to back out once she had the view from the top.’’

Three of my lovely aunts watch the preparations for a jump.


Saturday evening was the auction to raise money for the next reunion. As the auctioneer’s helper, Will displayed a talent for suggesting unique ways to use various items. When a lovely teapot lamp was up for bidding, he said if it raised a certain amount, he’d sing “I’m a Little Teapot.” It was quite a performance, and I really hope we have it on video. My family history scrapbook went to my uncle Lester for $100, and he expressed his belief that it was worth much more. I gave each of my aunts and uncles a photocopy of it. They all expressed appreciation for it which made me very happy.

No comments: