Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Eric is a High School Graduate

A week ago, we crowded together with a couple thousand other parents and friends to observe the graduation of the class of 2007. As usual, Eric stood out in the crowd.

A talented photograper friend from work had a seat much closer to the action than I was and she graciously shared her pictures with me. My zoomed pictures didn't turn out so well.
See anyone you recognize? Uncle Doug is sure intent on that program! Anisa and Nick are kind of hiding behind Eric's parents.

As trite as it sounds, on ocasions like this you look back and wonder how the years went by so fast. I see my nieces with their children and it seems just weeks ago that mine were that small. The years put a pleasant haze on the memories, but my recollection is that I loved and tried to treasure every age as they passed through it.

Eric was born in August, and when the doctor visited me the next day, he said, "A summer baby boy will do much better in school if you hold him back a year. Boys just aren't ready at that age." He said the same thing when Nick was born in July three years later. Craig started kindergarten that year, and although he was born in March, he was not very interested in sitting down to read and write. I volunteered in his class and observed that he spent a lot more time looking out the window and at other students than he did at his paper. So we had Eric wait until he was six to start kindergarten. Here he is with Nick on his first day of preschool.
When I volunteered in Eric's kindergarten class, I was shocked at the difference. When they had a paper to do, Eric sat down and did it thoroughly and well, often being the first one done. I've since realized it wasn't just because he was older; it's because he is a completely different person. I think he would have been very ready a year earlier. But now he gets to be more mature as he starts college.

Eric was so excited when he learned to read and write. He remarked one day that he knew he'd learn to read, but he hadn't realized he would get to write too! He was soon writing lists and stories, and in middle school began writing songs as well.



Middle school fueled his passion for music. He played the oboe in the band, and in seventh grade added the trumpet in jazz band. One night before he got the trumpet, he prayed, "Thank you Lord that I will soon be bi-instrumental!" He started teaching himself guitar in 8th grade and we followed up with lessons for awhile. I'm not sure how many instruments he has now, but his first major purchase when he started working at McDonald was a very nice electric guitar. His instrument collection includes an acoustic guitar, a ukelele, an ocarina, a diggerydoo, a tin whistle, a violin, a saxaphone, and he also plays the bass very well.

When we went to his parent-teacher conferences in seventh grade, I was feeling discouraged because my very intelligent son had four C's on his report card. His math/science teacher brightened my day as Eric had brightened hers when he walked in her class at the end of the day declaring, "Yea, now we finally get to learn something!" She told him, "Eric, I love the way you are curious, I love the way you ask questions, I love the way you take chances and are not afraid of failure." We still love those things about Eric. He know so much more than I do about so many things.


Over the years, he did cause me some embarrassing moments. In second grade, his first year at Tangent, he nearly drove his teacher crazy for two reasons: he always had to do things just a little bit different than everyone else, and he would finish his work before everyone else and did not always entertain himself in a fashion she enjoyed. The poor woman was in her last year before retirement, and I felt she was slightly humorless. She would make him call home to tell me about various misbehaviors. One day I was gone and he left a message about why he was in trouble. At the end, he said, "In Jesus name, Amen! Oh, I mean, goodbye!" Another day I got a call from the secretary telling me that Eric was in school without any shoes, because he had rushed outside to catch the bus. Great.

In spite of having the attitude of "Why should I waste my time studying for a test when I can get at least a B without studying?", Eric's report cards were the ones I dreaded the least out of my three boys. In fifth grade I remember pointing out the "N" for "Needs Improvement" next to "Listens and follows directions". Eric shook his head in disbelief. "How ridiculous. Look at this report card. This is the only bad thing on it. How could I possibly get all As if I didn't listen and follow directions?" Those crazy teachers...

Early in the morning on his last day of high school, Eric was desperately searching the house for a missing school library book, because he didn't want to pay for it but would not get his diploma if it wasn't taken care of. The very last day. Sadly for him, he may have picked up on some of his mother's weaknesses...but he has plenty of time to improve.

Congratulations, Eric. God has blessed you with a brain that learns very quickly and is very creative. We know you have a very bright future ahead as you use your brains, talents, great sense of humor, and likable, easy-going personality to serve your Creator.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Congratulations Eric!
Jean