Monday, October 20, 2008

I Couldn't Believe My Eyes

This afternoon a student walked into the office and said she needed help. I looked at her and saw the she had a large paper clip hanging from her lower lip. It was poked in and under the skin for about a quarter inch before sticking out again. "I didn't mean to do it," she said. "Could you just pull it out for me?"

Why is the health room person out to lunch when you need her?

"No I will not," said I. "It could start bleeding or who knows what." "I don't care if it bleeds. Just take it out," said she.

I told this young lady to have a seat while I called her mother. She said she felt like fainting. I told her to stay seated. She wanted to go to her locker. I told her to stay where she was. "I need to go to the bathroom. I feel like throwing up," she said. I put a garbage can in front of her, and she leaned forward and started gagging into it.

Such was the scene Nick beheld when he walked in to say hi after he got out of school. For some reason he didn't stick around.

Fortunately the girl's mother came right down. They were back within a half hour, the girl's lip red and swollen but otherwise fine. The doctor pulled it right out.

You just never know what will walk through that door!

1 comment:

paula54 said...

GOOD GRIEF!!!!! I much preferred reading your autumn update!