Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Insulted but not Offended

Tonight I was looking at the sad condition of our family room carpet and kitchen linoleum and I suggested to Will that it would probably look really good if we replaced the flooring with tile in both rooms and just had an area rug for the family room. Will looked at me from his comfortable lounging position on the couch, then looked over at Nick lounging on the other end of the couch and said, "Nick, could you step outside the room for a minute?" I said, "If you don't like the idea, that's fine." "I just don't want to embarrass you," he said. "Speak," said I. "I'm not too likely to be embarrassed in front of Nick."

"I don't like the area rugs you buy," he said. (I have had a succession of inexpensive rugs in the family room over the last several years due to extensive carpet staining due to boys constantly spilling soda on the floor for the past 12 years.)

"I'll buy a nice one, instead of a cheap one," I said.

"You have to take someone with you to pick it out," he said. (The nerve!!) I declared he would need to come pick it out to make sure it met his high standards of good taste.

That settled, I felt a blogging attack coming on. As I sat down, I heard him say, "That last rug was a real beaut. I wouldn't use that in my dog house!"

It is a good thing that I am not a sensitive female who weeps at the slightest hint of insult.

No comments: