Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Inspired!

It's the last day of 2013. I would like to post a deeply thoughtful blog about all the great things I have learned and enjoyed the past year, with the desire that it would inspire us all to go out and make our world a better place in 2014. I would like to. But that is one of those things I will never get around to doing. Instead, I have to share what inspires me today.

Interior Decorating. Yes. If you know me very well, you are no doubt aware that this is one of the many talents that I have not been blessed with. When something lands on my walls, it generally stays there for about 20 years. Recently, maybe five years ago or so, I had my niece Jody help me update some things, and it looked decent for a month or two til I started messing with it. As the years passed and furniture was rearranged or things came along, I adjusted a few things here and there, and even I am noticing that my walls are looking really lame.

I received some nice gifts recently and had no clue where to hang them or how to put together a grouping. Then, last night, a missing piece fell into place and I had it!

Let me back up. An amazing thing happened this past year. Nick and Christina will be having a baby in May, our first grandchild. I was honored and privileged to be invited to the ultrasound a few weeks ago which showed that this little guy is a BOY! I've been a bit busy with Christmas and all the changes in routine that brings. Yesterday was the first time I was in  store with a bit of time to shop….so I headed to the baby department at Fred Meyer. Have I ever told you how much I love that store? Oh, yes, I believe I have mentioned some fun times there in the past. Anyway, I was seeking out something for a boy that mentioned an awesome grandma. There were adorable things for aunts, grandpas, moms and dads, but not one grandma outfit could I find. I was about to give up in despair and go somewhere else, when suddenly I saw it.
Have you seen these cute little mustaches around?  I hadn't either, until Christina mentioned that she is using them as part of her nursery decor. Suddenly I see them everywhere! I sent her a picture to see if she already had this one, and she didn't. So I made my first clothing purchase for my new grandson. Do you see that it even has purple suspenders? I just love it.

As I gazed fondly at this sweet little garment and imagined the baby boy who will inhabit it (he always looks like Baby Nick when I imagine him), inspiration began to strike me. After I slept on it and pondered a bit more, the pieces fell into place further. I put this together this morning.

Nick and Christina are the top picture, my own poetic masterpiece is in the middle, and then little Nicholas (as he was known then) enjoying the swing in our back yard. Add this to the darling little garment and the two gifts from Nick and Christina and I have a newly designed dining room wall!

I'm well aware that my final grouping would not win any awards in home interior design, but it brings me great joy to look at it! (I tried to work with the holes that were already in the wall so that limited my creativity somewhat!)

Uh oh,  I see that the tag is showing on the baby onesy. Pretty tacky huh. Well I'm too lazy to retake the picture. I have now fixed it on the wall at least.

Okay, I'm exhausted after all that creative labor this morning. I need to rest now. No, actually I need to go out and run! The sun just came out! Time to take off my jammies and put on my running clothes!  Maybe I'll have to get me one of those little running strollers so I can take the grandbaby on adventures!

 I wish you all a very Happy and Healthy New Year and many blessings and gifts in 2014!

No comments: