Monday, December 09, 2013

Snow Days…and Days…and Days….

Snow Day. It's a delight to get one of these, to stay in your warm house in your warm fleece jammies, drink lots of coffee, hot tea, and or hot chocolate, listen to Christmas music, play on the computer, get stuff done. Friday was a snow day. It's so beautiful to wake up to a white world and then to watch the flakes continue to come down all day. Snow Days are one of the greatest fringe benefits of working for a school.

Will and Zeek went for their usual walk. A snow day is just like any other to them.
There they go.
I believe Zeek enjoys the snow.


Saturday was still very cold but no new snow. I put my hiking boots on and went for a 3-mile run in the afternoon. There were a few slippery spots but for the most part it was just packed snow.
 Those little dots below are sheep that ran away from me as I approached, with much noisier baa-ing than usual.
 I think it was about 23 degrees. I thought I'd be cold but it was amazing how extremely warm I was after about the first five minutes of running and especially after coming back in the house!

Record breaking low temperatures, down to the single digits, meant the snow stuck around. After church (sparsely attended I might add!), I went by the school and took a few pics.
Got the word yesterday afternoon that school would be closed today as well due to ongoing treacherous roads. Gotta love knowing that you get to sleep in the next day!

Today was the first day I didn't even venture out for a walk. I made some good inroads on my to-do list. I even did some school work that I brought home. I think Will is loving having me at home all the time. I serve him my delicious homemade cabbage vegetable soup for lunch every day so far and he doesn't even have to ask for it. I have discovered that he is really good at repairing broken Christmas ornaments and decorations. I left the vacuum in the living room and mentioned that I'd love it if he used it there. I'm always right here to give him advice and he doesn't even have to ask for it. He sure seems to spend a lot of time outside shoveling snow.

And this afternoon came word that school is closed AGAIN tomorrow.

So I get to sleep in again and lounge around reading the paper and checking Facebook.  Hopefully I'll get in another snow run and get my Christmas cards addressed. Is this what it would be like to be retired? No, I would have to discipline myself to get in a routine. Maybe just allow one day a week to be a lazy morning!

I know we'll have to make up these days later, but I'm not going to worry about that now. Instead I'll enjoy another evening in my warm house, hot cup of tea in hand, and watch a movie with my husband, not worrying about getting up early in the morning. Routine is good, but a break in the routine is really fun too!

No comments: