Friday, July 14, 2006

Day 19 Homeward Bound

Friday, July 14

As we were leaving Big Mountain this morning, it was evident preparations were underway for a weekend festival. They don't have Best Pots there, but we met a truck bringing in some "PeeWees".


We drove a little over 700 miles in our dented car today, and not one kid complained about being in the car so long. I was concerned that the Camry might be too small and cramped for such a long trip, but Will was the only one who felt it. Fortunately, he has no tolerance for wimps, whiners and crybabies, so I didn't know how uncomfortable he has been until today when he said he wouldn't take a long trip again in a car that was too small for him. After all this time, we know that Eric and Will do not fit well on the same seat in a restaurant booth, and they also should not sit directly across from each other due to competition for foot room.

It is wonderful thing to be back in the Pacific Northwest. The flowers here are bigger and more beautiful, and the public toilets are equipped with paper seat protectors. I was shocked as we traveled to find these were non-existent in the other states. The national parks, Washington and Oregon were the only places where these could be found. I am truly blessed to live in such a civilized state.

As we shared our last meal out before arriving home, I asked everyone what their favorite part of the trip was. Eric and Nick really liked Bear Country, and Nick especially enjoyed the zip line and Will's part in the auction at the reunion. Will said he like leaving and coming back. They forgot to ask me my favorite part, but I told them anyway. Staying with my Aunt Jeannine and Uncle Lester and hearing their stories, and being with Aunt Lela and Uncle Gary were highlights for me. And how could I forget Uncle Kenny and his fabulous wood creations and historic photos. Eric and Nick spent the night at my cousin Sharon's when we were at Jeannine's. She also has three boys, with only one left at home. Eric said she and her family were "more hospitable than you can imagine", telling them to help themselves to drinks and make themselves at home, showing them all their video game systems and letting them play as late as they wished.

We pulled in our driveway about 10:15 p.m., having travelled a record breaking 705 miles in one day. Our trip meter read 5,075. Michael and Terri were out in front of their house and they all came out to greet us,so we got to see them and Brittany, Shorty and Jeremy right away. Eric had no time for pleasantries with them, he had to unload and head out to see his friends. Since he has been growing his beard the past three weeks, Molly really needed to see it. She approved.

I discovered Eric had a picture that should have been shared, so I leave you with one of my funniest memories of this trip. But my window is still smudgy!

Our kids probably, actually for sure, saw more mountains than they ever wanted to see, but I hope they remember all the good times we had together. This road trip is over, but we will continue to travel on appreciating the beautiful world God has created, laughing easily at all the funny things that come our way, and not whining about the discomforts we encounter!

No comments: