Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Nick's Birthday Party

Yesterday Nick got to have a gathering of friends to celebrate his birthday, since as usual he was gone on the day. His wonderful aunt volunteered her family's lake as a location. Nick was very excited. The hard part was limiting the numbers to make transportation doable. He only went three over his limit, and a kind parent/friend drove the excess. I told Will he didn't have to stay, but he got cool and comfortable. I don't know how he could possibly prefer this to sitting on our hot couch that feels like an electric blanket wrapped around you.

The 13 teenagers had a great time. The girls were spitting mad when they checked out the mud pit and the boys got them muddy. However, after they jumped in the lake to wash off, they couldn't stay away from the mud pit. They seemed to enjoy it even more than the boys. Of course, Duane says the mud feels like silk. Apparently it's true.

Brenden was being babysat by Venisa. A fastidiously clean child, he clung to me as he watched the mud fights in horrified fascination, but didn't want to get too close. He just wanted to throw rocks in the water and eat watermelon and cake.

You can see the arm print on Nick's chest from an enthusiastic hug he had received just before eating cake. They built a fire and enjoyed it before we returned home at 10 PM. Five boys spent the night here and I actually slept well, not hearing anything. I must be getting old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures! looks like it was lots of fun! I'm sure you may already know this, but Nordstrom Rack carries size 15 (what? I didn't know they made them....) anyway I just saw some at their Tanasbourne store this week. You could make a trip to Portland and I could go with you..:-)Although I'm not sure what style, color etc. you're looking for. ANyway, just wanted to share!
-Melissa