Saturday, September 09, 2006

Toki

Tuesday after school Eric told me he needed to asked permission for something at dinner. I want to know what he's going to ask. "No, you'll just say no. I can't tell you because I have to make a speech first to both you and dad." So I was quite curious and a bit nervous as well!

Molly also joined us for dinner, which we partook of on our shady deck. Eric started talking about how responsible he is, now that he is 18. He takes care of Molly's dog all the time, cleaning up it's messes, feeding, walking it, etc. He gave us several examples of his exemplary character and maturity at this advanced age of 18. Also, this would improve our relationship with our neighbor across the street, because we would get to know her better, since she is the director of Safe Haven. He and Molly had been to Safe Haven checking out kitties. There was a special deal going on for adopting two kitties. Molly already had permission to get one. He would take full responsibility for it and take it with him when he moves out.

So I find myself sharing my house with a feline again. Eric was the reason we got our first and only other cat back in about 1997. Eric wanted to make a pet out of a half-dead shrew that he found in the back yard. I wouldn't let him. That night when I tucked him in bed, he was in tears. "Mom, do you think I will ever have a pet?" How could I deny such a child? Fortuitously, withing a week or so, my neice Dawn had a cat she needed to give up, so it came to live with us until it met it's untimely end several years ago due to complications of skin cancer. (White cats should not spend much time outside.)

A few months ago, Eric and Molly each got a pet rat. Molly has custody of both of them. I guess Eric's kitty is going to visit her while he's at work tonight, because they took it with them this afternoon. This kitty's name is Toki. (I'm not sure how to spell it.) He says it's Chinese for rabbit. I realized a needed a "family picture" as they were about to leave so I made them wait in the driveway while I grabbed my camera. Here they are - Eric with Toki, Marley the dog, Molly and her kitty (don't know it's name). Don't worry, Eric put Toki in the back seat with Marley before he drove off.

No comments: