Monday, September 04, 2006

Labor Day Weekend

For the first time ever, we camped on Labor Day weekend. Will and Nick went up earlier than I did, since he had the day off but I couldn't leave the office til we were ready for the first day of school. Since people were coming in to register all day long, I didn't get my work done in a timely manner and was there til after 6. But that's another story. So I didn't get to have any input on our campsite. Poor Will knew that wherever he set up, it would be wrong. He was right.

We camped at the Sheriff's Posse Camp (where the Search and Rescue Academy is held). The annual posse potluck was to be held Sunday, so they started arriving Saturday. We ended up surrounded by four camp trailers, and their horses were in the coral behind us. They are nice people, and the horses are lovely. But in the early morning when they go on a ride and leave just one horse behind, that horse objects. Loudly. Over and over. I don't know if it's a whinny or a neigh, but the repeated shrill shrieking sounds of that lonely horse certainly destroyed my hopes of sleeping in a bit on a lazy camping morning. But of course I didn't complain. I might have mentioned it a few times, but mentioning does not equal complaining. Anywhere Will parks is fine with me....They left yesterday afternoon, so the only thing left to complain about, I mean mention, was the odor wafting in the breeze from the horse area. Luckily I have been conditioned not to complain or whine about the minor inconveniences of life.

At the potluck, I met a woman who used to own and operate Dancin' Bloomers, a nursery in Shedd where I bought many plants the first few years we lived here. We were chatting about it. The two friends from church who were also there asked me about it later. "So what's this Dancin' Bloomers place you used to go to all the time?" Apparently the conversation didn't indicate that it was a nursery, and they were quite puzzled about me being so enthusiastic about a place with a name like that! I was able to quickly cut short their speculation on the possiblity that I had a secret life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a good sport that woman is, a husband that never knows were to put the trailer or his chair, yet still she never complains. I being the husband that never quite learns the importance of a social circle, or the proper place to put the trailer should know by now the difference between complaint and concern. After this trip I believe I have it figured out. Either never unhook the trailer or sit in a chair until told everything is alright or make sure I am always parked next to the Riley’s. I am slow, but I can be taught given enough time. The acid test will come the last week of September when I go alone to the Rogue River and attempt to park the trailer and my chair without LeAnn within 200 miles. No cell service, to seek advice, no witness to the mistakes, I plan to park as close to someone that I don’t know, as possible. When asked why I am so close, I will simply tell them my wife “She who must be obeyed”, a wise and forgiving woman, has given me orders to be more social. Beware Will the social will be looking for people to park next to and to talk with for ever more. I will be, as I should be, not only cute but also fun to be around. As for the smell of horse dung alluded to in her BLOG, I am going to carry some with me always for the comfort and fond memories of my youth, but you will have to ask to smell it as I know now it is not a smell loved by everyone. Carry on you of little or no social ability there is hope for us all in the selection of a good woman, and the compassion of love.

Anonymous said...

I can see it now, Will parking close and hugging all who pass by. John

SAHM said...

Are you bringing Mr. Sarcastis Bear?