Friday, October 13, 2006

A Utopian Week

Can my fellow Utopians believe how gorgeous fall is here? Yesterday was a record breaking 79 degrees! I had to put shorts and a tank top on to go for a walk after work! I also picked another nice bowl of strawberries. We ate outside last night! The flowers are still blooming, the leaves are a gorgeous array of colors, the sky is incredibly blue, the sunsets are awesome. This is a great place to live!

Once again I have endured a week of being single. Will left for Idaho to visit his family last Saturday and will return Sunday. It's been a much busier week for me, parties everywhere. Niece Jody had a Pampered Chef party Tuesday and Will was happy that I spent money there. He wants my old stuff for the trailer. He believes in getting the best equipment and I tend to buy the cheap stuff. But there will be no more wimpy spatulas for me! He can have them in the trailer!

Sister Jean had a Home and Garden party last night. I had better self control there. Or perhaps the temptation was less because of fewer essential items and more lovely items. My decorating genes are dormant right now. As always, it was good to talk to my sister Hope, the only person I know who has as many ditzy moments as I do. She makes me feel pleasingly normal. When we were growing up, I always thought I was the mature responsible one and she was the ditzy one. But over the years, maybe that's leveled out a little!

The half-hour trip down there with the sunset glowing along the horizon above the mountains was enough to make me want to drive on forever. I feel quite proud of myself that I made through the back roads of the unfamiliar south county to her country home with no wrong turns. On the way back in the blackness of the night, I only made one wrong turn. But I realized I was going the wrong way and turned around long before I got to Eugene! However, I did not honk and wave at my sister and nieces as I passed them later on the freeway, because at the time I was foolishly feeling a little embarrassed about my little detour that had put me behind them instead of 10 minutes ahead of them where I should have been, and kind of hoped they wouldn't notice it was me.

Tonight Nick has some friends over for a pizza and movie night. He and his friend were behaving like fairly well-adjusted and normal 14-15 year old boys before the two girls got here. Even though the girls are long-time friends, the boys behavior changed dramatically upon their arrival. Actually, shortly before their arrival they started trying to impress them by making sure they were out on the street doing cool things on their bikes. They became much louder, trying to outdo each other with silly attempts at humor. I guess they're trying to be especially cute and fun to be with. I'm just shaking my head. I think they are much more likable when they just act normal. But they are getting a lot of laughs.

The girls got to see the first screening of the video the boys completed today, a four minute "horror movie" entitled "The Tangent Scooter Handle Massacre" that involves a lot of running and screaming by neighborhood teenagers. They had a dilemma because one of the extras uttered a bad word during the filming, but talented big brother Eric came to the rescue. The screen momentarily goes black as Eric murmurs an expressive "Oh Dear" that is just perfect for the moment and completely eliminates the offending word. The opening and ending credits are impressive. Garrett is listed as "Captain Killer" and Nick is billed as "The Important Guy".

I hope you're not sadly shaking your head and thinking what a bad parent I am.

That was life at our house this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear sister, Your Utopian record breaking weather sounds sort of nice, but I'm ready for winter. Finally today we got down to about 5 degrees above zero and snow started to fall as I drove home from work. It was such a wonderful feeling. Hopefully we will have several inches by morning. If we do, all the unlearned and ignorant will make themselves known by parking their cars in wierd possitions in the ditch. Aaaaaahhhh, winter, wonderful winter....., John

SAHM said...

Kevin and I just returned from a movie, I know an amazing date night on a school night!! The perks of keeping the 12 year old pastors' daughter for a few nights. :) Although, she did seem a little anxious to have us leave....anyway, I digress. Exiting the theater with 2 other couples I was thrilled to see the heavy rain, while they were shocked and appalled, calling for "swimmers" and "Coast Guard REscue" as we had just all seen "The Guardian". It's great to be all wet!!